• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need late night dining (diner?) in Chicago

yellowzeppelin

I'm a volunteer for a folk music festival next weekend, and have been charged with finding somewhere to take the performers to dinner right after they fly in from various locations before they disperse to the various places they will be staying. The problem is some of them are on flights in that don't arrive at O'Hare until 8 pm.

I need to find a place (maybe a diner?), ideally on the northwest side of Chicago, with a kitchen that serves after 9 pm on a Thursday night.

It should be quiet enough that a large group can talk in order to make plans for the performances the next day, not too expensive (folk musicians don't get paid much), and hopefully good enough food so as to not dishonor Chicago's reputation. Also, I don't know what these folks eat, so probably nothing too exotic. Pizza is out because that's dinner the next night.

I don't get out much late in the evening, so I’m at a loss. I'm hoping that some of you like to eat late at night and can help me out.

Give a call to the folks at Smoque, where there's arguably the best BBQ in the city. It's on the way in from O'Hare, not too expensive, certainly well priced, but has nothing (but great fries, cornbread, and desserts) for vegetarians (unless there's suet or lard in the first two, which I doubt).

Cheap/late-ish eats on the NW side are mostly going to be more exotic options...here are a few of my favorites:

Khan BBQ - Pakistani/Indian. The barbecued chicken boti and tandori fish are both amazing. Open until 10:30 PM daily.

2401 W Devon Ave, Chicago 60659

Spoon Thai - Thai. Has the typical range of dishes you'll find at any Thai place, but also many unique specialties. Open until 10 PM daily.

4608 N Western Ave, Chicago 60625

Noon O Kebab - Persian. Wonderful kebabs and home-style middle eastern food. Open until 10 PM on Thursday.

4661 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago 60625

San Soo Gap San - Korean BBQ. An interactive dining experience great for groups. Open more-or-less 24 hours (I think they close from ~3-5 am sometimes).

5247 N Western Ave, Chicago 60625

Hoanh Long Vietnamese - Vietnamese. Fresh, delicious preparations away from the usual Argyle strip. Open until 10 PM on Thursday.

6144 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago, IL 60659

Any of these places should be able to accommodate a group relatively easily, though Khan and San Soo Gap San might find it easiest.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer