• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macaroon tutorial

dejaq

We've missed you! Good to see you back.

And love the tutorial by the way. Interested to see that you put all the tant pour tant in at the same time. The Herme recipe I use calls for doing it in 3 additions. I'm basically lazy so do it all at once.

What sort of food colour are you using?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Thank you Kerry, very kind....yes you are right, same as I learned at Lenotre, but this is a Contrarian new approach, I make my almond dacquoise the same way, all drys same time, even forced air drying in front of the convection's, is a bit different, remember you want to keep the air volume, and actually I proved you loose more air by gradually incorporating the drys, not less. I also like the chef rubber liquid gels vs. dry powders, you have more control, especially for creating custom color blends like the (salmon color) for the passion fruit or brightening up the leaf green with yellow, but stepping it back a notch with a drop or two of brown.

BTW that image is a hot link to the video for someone reading this, just click the picture....like my Facebook page if you care to. I will try to post more videos soon, they take a lot of work, as you know Kerry.

take care,

Chef Michael

A little constructive criticism - I found it impossible to read the text, as it flashed on the screen so very very briefly between scenes. Next time consider a longer pause to allow viewers to read the text, or perhaps treat it as subtitles.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

you can thank me later......

952 gr. powdered sugar

952 gr. almond flour

additional to dry blend with above:

672 gr. powdered sugar

400 gr. cornstarch

50 gr. egg white powder

for meringue:

862 gr. egg whites

336 gr. granulated sugar

to make chocolate add 50 gr. cocoa to above

cheers :)

why the corn starch? that's the first time I've seen it used. Also, whats the difference between using fresh eggs whites and that from a pack? If it's easier to just buy whites i might have to start doing so...

Oh also, for the video, a little easier on the techno music, felt like i was in a club :laugh:

cornstarch adds stability, and consistency..they tie up the h20 portion on the whites..while still keeping the macs flourless.

egg whites also add stability, the concept is the same as leaving the whites (fresh out to dry)and burning off and volatilizing moisture

with one caveat, too much egg whites have a sulfonated taste and smell, and produce a considerably marshmallow type macaroon, oh they will look perfect, but be so rubbery I could replace the ten pack launchers on my six year old son's Hasbro Nerf Blaster with them....and he could use those macaroons as bullets instead.

we sell an amazing amount of those macaroons at Dean and Deluca.....wow! we see the Georgetown students come in for them all the time, people buy them in droves....like 30 at a time, and wipe us out!....it's crazy!

if I had to use fresh egg whites, I would completely run out of things to do with the yolks, I suppose we could make and just keep freezing lemon curd, perhaps have enough till the poles shift or something kinda like that....warning....don't use "SLS" whites, or "super whip whites", they don't work.

sorry about the Techno, I'll try migrating to progressive house on the next go around......

it's at a bout this point when Kerry is probably saying " that's my boy Porru, hasn't changed a bit in all these years".....

A little constructive criticism - I found it impossible to read the text, as it flashed on the screen so very very briefly between scenes. Next time consider a longer pause to allow viewers to read the text, or perhaps treat it as subtitles.

Agreed. It got very frustrating, since it was on the screen so briefly (less than a second?) that it was even difficult to pause at the right time, and in several cases it took more than one round of backing up and pausing in order to pause and catch the text. Subtitles that remain on the screen for a while (and skipping the background music) would be a BIG improvement.

Overall, it was a very helpful video, and thank you for posting the recipe. I am new to macarons, and need all the help I can get!

@ pastrygirl & tikidoc....thanks for your feedback, I actually received first wind of those comments regarding the text fields being too brief from a cousin on Facebook. I went into saying how the idea was to keep it short for fluidity and continuity to the film,pausing to read if necessary, here is a screen shot of the timeline, these things are like spaghetti code, they get down right unruly with the size of the vid in Sony Vegas Platinum reaching nearly 400 meg! to keep quality standards high, and the movie to a minimum, we edit where we can...with a tradeoff of size vs. content, this movie was even longer, and had to be radically cut to make YouTube's absurd 10 minute/gig limitations, otherwise, and take my word for it, I would have been shot in HD. I'll make the text snippets longer on the next go around, but the music maybe not trance, stays....it's a part of my personality...please don't take my Kodachrome away....I think I am going to cry......sorry....:)

404908_374630309231635_334102463284420_1364882_1892852282_n.jpg

this is an annotation from the Patissier Chef Michael Facebook page:

I have been meaning to conduct this test....basically it proves that the quality of almond flour makes a difference when it comes to making our endearing Gerbet....the test is based on a flour protein swatch test as what was learned at AIB, we would hydrate the flours, compress them between two plates of glass and determine differences in them....in this case with almond flour as you can tell the hydrated four on the left is darker, the one on the right, lighter, finer grained...producing a better macaroon, the take away, fine grained almond flour has an increased surface area, hence absorbs more available H20 in the whites, producing a tauter plumper, more tender and visually smoother macarron......try to use the finest almond flour available.

408950_370564939638172_334102463284420_1354739_94572657_n.jpg

I'll make the text snippets longer on the next go around, but the music maybe not trance, stays....it's a part of my personality...

Exactly as it should be. After what I learned from your mirror glazing demo (Has that much time really gone by?), you can put the baby elephant walk/hit me baby one more time remix in your demos and I won't complain. It's been a while since I put much time into macs, worked with them a bit just to be comfy that I could and I break them out now and then for specific uses but that's about it, maybe this will spark a new interest in doing them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

you are very sweet, thank you for contributing to my behavior....I don't know maybe classical, Opera....to any effect as i just wrote a moderator earlier today, much had been learned from four years ago.....I will just put in this context, this is not Aunt Mary's apple pie anymore....this is Tony Stark's R&D lab, and I am opening the doors up to it, what you are about to see is nothing short of......AMAZING!....I personally guarantee it, that's the way dad did it, that's the way America does it, and it's worked out pretty well for me so far.....:)