• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latest trip to Vegas

Just back from 6 days feasting in Vegas. Highlights were lunch at Milos (the tomato salad was better than I would have assumed possible), the truffled Maitaki at Bar Masa, and gelee'd vodka cubes at Le Cirque, the langoustine fritters at L'Atelier (though the other fish I ordered there was far too fishy) and the passion fruit cocktail at Twist. I was saddened to find the King Prawns absent from Mix as well as finding Uncle Vincent's Chicken absent from the Rao lunch menu just as the cheese souffle was absent from nearby Payard. Must go there for dinner the next trip. Had the Bubbles and Bites mini-menu with maximum delights at Guy Savoy. As I walked in, the tall waiter said, "you don't like avacado." That he would remember such trivia from a year ago astonished me as much as Ilona remembering my face and name from such a distance. Small bites at Guy Savoy better than the tapas at E the night before. Don't know if it's the best city to dine in, but I was never more than a short walk from a great meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Did they serve the Langoustine Fritters at L'Atelier with that intensely green parsley sauce? That is probably on my list of the Top Ten Dishes I've ever tasted. So simple, so stark, yet so delicious.

The langoustine fritter was indeed intensely sauced, but it in no way detracted from the seafood. My neighbour who had applauded when I ordered the fritter, later told me it had too much basil. Not for me. I had a French 75 with it, a good pairing, but the reason I ordered that drink is that I read on egullet that it was the source of the Sage 75 cocktail at the Chandelier Bar. But when I got to the bar, they were out of sage so I'll have to wait to have one in Vegas on my next trip. I'd go back to L'Atelier for the fritters and regret having had only one, instead of trying other more problematic dishes.