• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with someone else's treasured cookbooks?

A friend recently asked a group of us foodies what he should do with his late spouse's collection of cookbooks, including a wide range of recipe collections published and sold for every sort of fundraising, apparently hundreds of them, collected over decades. He doesn't want to send them to languish at the local goodwill, but is there a better option for a large collection of stuff that requires a lot of effort and time to sort for the hidden gems amidst the not-so-great stuff?

In a perfect world, eGullet could make a virtual used bookstore where we could list books we don't want that others might that could be paid for via paypal as eGullet donations. Once the donation was confirmed, we could send the book/s to the person that bought it/them. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world and I can see the potential headaches for eGullet administration that could result from this. Donating to a library or school is always a good option though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I would consider several options:

1. Contact used book stores in the area. Most of the ones I frequent have extensive shelves of cookbooks and also will do the sorting. See if they want to purchase (or take) the lot.

2. Contact local library and see if they are accepting donations for their collection and/or for their "Friends of the Library" sales. They will also sort them by type and the bonus is that they are raising money for the library id they go to the sale shelves. I have purchased numerous off beat cookbooks at my local library which allows for perusal and purchase whenever the library is open.

3. See if a local culinary arts program wants to let the students plow through them as take ones of interest. You may inspire a future chef/cook. Then consider the ideas above for the remainder.

I assume there are no children or other relatives that may want to take some sentimental favorites?

In a perfect world, eGullet could make a virtual used bookstore where we could list books we don't want that others might that could be paid for via paypal as eGullet donations. Once the donation was confirmed, we could send the book/s to the person that bought it/them. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world and I can see the potential headaches for eGullet administration that could result from this. Donating to a library or school is always a good option though.

We have this topic that facilitates the exchange of free cookbooks.

Contact the UCLA library and ask if they can help. At one time they were accepting donations of cookbook collections.

Also contact the library at USC.

They now host the L.A. Times Festival of Books, (in April each year). Cookbooks

It used to be at UCLA.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

(Internet gremlins stole my original post, but the upshot is....)

If a 'group of foodies' are involved, I suggest making an occasion of it (with food and drink) and let each member take those volumes that they have a chance or desire to pass forward. Let these good works be done in memory of the deceased.

The estate is unlikely to realize any form of significant remuneration (i've had a bit of experience in this - books don't sell), so the loyalty should fall to the books themselves.

Half Price Books is also an option. They'll only pay a pittance for books, but the better ones will end up on properly categorized shelves perused by the public.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll forward them to my friend. It's an online group so a gathering to go over them is not so practical. But finding out where the books are, we might be able to help figure out the nearest school/library/culinary resource that would be happy to deal with them.

I volunteer at our local thrift store, and we love cookbooks! There are lots of cookbook collectors, and the books move quickly. (Except for microwave cookbooks--I think most folks have given up on cooking whole meals in the nuker.)

I agree Sparrowgrass, I funded (handed in) my extensive collection of Maps of France to

that kind of store, get them back in to circulation is my advice.

Whole meals in the nuker, now who could have thought of that?

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

As above, I take all my old and used books to the local library. They will add to their collection those items they do not have. Then they place the remainder in their bi-annual book sale with proceeds staying with the local library. I know that those that attend these book sales appreciate what they buy.

They will also give you a contribution form to use as a tax deduction.

Good luck.

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.