• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cacao Noel cocoa powder

B trei

I have the option to buy some cacao noel cocoa powder at about 7.00/lb (however it's sold in 11lb quantities) I did some light research but I can't seem to come up with any information on this company or a dedicated site. I usually use either valrhona or callebaut cocoa powder. Has anyone here worked with this brand before? How would it compare to the cocoa I usually use? Any info would be greatly appreciated, even about the couverture.

Ive been using Noel's couverture for about four years now as one of my main chocolates. I've used pretty much all of their varieties. It think its very easy to work with, very well priced, and allows for easy pairing with a variety of ganaches. The only drawback Ive found is their white tends to need a good deal of cocoa butter added to get it thinned to the point that it will allow for molding a thin white shell. That aside, Noel and El Rey make up 85% of what I use. I cant comment on the powder, but $7/lb seems to be inline with most chocolate makers pricing. However, unless you love hot chocolate, $7 is expensive for cocoa given that much cheaper alternatives exist.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

if you're finding $7/lb to be normal, you're either:

1) in an incredibly remote place

2) battling with terrible currency exchange rates

3) buying really, really, really small quantities

4) paying too much

I'm not going to comment on who's making what product, but you can get literally the exact same thing for 1/2 the cost. I'd urge you to shop around.