• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeling Huge Quantities of Ginger

Panaderia Canadiense

I process large batches of ginger, skin, slice and candy it.

I grow a lot of my own so have to wash it well - I have large wire baskets and use a pressure sprayer set on 20% power to wash it outside.

I boil water in a very large stockpot (also outside) put the ginger into a round wire basket (crab boiler basket) and dip the ginger into boiling water for about 2 minutes, take it out, take it inside and dump into the sink.

I use exfoliating gloves and as I rub off the loosened skin, break off the "fingers" so I have a single corm to slice.

I've been using this method for years - I used to blanch it, dipping into cold water after the boiling but found it made no difference.

I keep a grapefruit spoon handy, just in case I have the odd piece with skin that resists the abrasion of the gloves.

It probably takes me half an hour, at most, to go through 10-12 pounds of ginger.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett