• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh roasted peanuts?

SpaghettiWestern

Does anyone know where i can get some fresh roasted peanuts in the shell between San Antonio and Austin ?

i know they grow 'em down here but i would like to find someone roasting them. they are SOOOO good just out of the roaster.

OR.... i would like to get them raw from a farmer and make boiled peanuts at home.

thanks.

Can't testify as to where you can get them, but we used to roast peanuts all the time when I was a kid. I recall it involved soaking overnight in heavily salted water, and then spread out on a cookie sheet in the oven. I'd have to experiment as to time/temp, as I don't remember any of those details; just opening the oven a couple of times and shaking the pan to move them around.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Season for fresh peanuts would be late summer, like July/August I think. I remember reading that the drought was very hard on both the peanut and pecan industries in the state, one source I read (no idea where now) basically indicated that for all intents and purposes Texas did not produce a commercial peanut crop in 2011, so you may have some difficulty in sourcing them either way.

Ranch foreman I knew near Elgin said he knew people who grew them in the area though, and told our friend from S. Carolina he could get her some raw to make boiled. Never did happen, not sure if it was the drought or if he forgot.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman