• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small amount of flour in lava cakes?

imanalienchef

i have a serious question. we are serving tons more gluten free people lately at our restaurant,and i make my own version of a lava cake. there is NO flour in my recipe except at the end when i fold in 2 TBSP of flour. my question is WHY? I mean ii am only adding it cause of other lava recipes that do this. Now if i take it out it would be a gluten free recipe. Do you think it would affect anything? why do people use that little bit at the end and fold it in? most of the recipe is heavy on eggs,butter and chocolate and not much else....so essentially a flourless cake underbaked to be a lavacake. so please let me know if you think that if i take out that little bit of flour if it should matter? thanks..sorry sor the winded post...

right, but i dont want to use any rice flour or xanthan gum,,just questioning why alot of recipes add that little 1 or 2 TBSP of flour in the end and fold it in? is it really necessary is my question...its as simple as not putting it in and bam i got gluten free lava cake...c what i mean.

You can substitute cornstarch, half as much, ie 1 Tbsp cornstarch for every 2 Tbsp flour. I've done that many times for gluten-free stuff where I want a little extra structure.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.