• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu 2012

Regardless of whether we agree with the brief or not, that is what it is and to my mind neither of the remaining chefs are really answering it and Marcus is guilty of very poor judging - marking highly for food that he personally likes rather than food that answers the brief. Tell me what pushed the boundaries with tonights dishes? Byrne attempted it with his spherifcation but failed and Rogan somehow thought using vegetables that had been stored in sand was ground breaking. I've yet to see Rogan do anything other conventional cooking but he can seemingly do no wrong in Marcus's eyes.

Nice to see that a lot of the comments on 'Satellite Dishes' that David linked to agree with mine. Particularly liked the one that said 'hilarious that a 2* chef doesn't know anchovy is a fish'

Regardless though I think the quote of the entire series must go to Aiden for "You can't stand there championing a dish with a turnip that isn't your own".

Edited by KaffirLime (log)

Yes but the brief is to push boundaries and I don't think they are given two years to come up with a dish. I don't want to come across as Johnny Mountain's No 1 fan but did either of the other two dishes push boundaries, or were they just safe dishes with a little tweak? Arguably Johnny Mountain is the only guy answering the brief by pushing himself beyond his comfort zone. How hot under the collar did Rogan get grilling a salad for his starter?

But apart from that, the duty of a judge is surely to be even-handed and fair. Rogan bought in a miniature science lab which suceeded in adding diddly squat to his lobster and he under-cooked the beetroot yet he still got a more than decent score. Mountain's dish would have had to be gag-inducingly bad to warrant a 2 and I doubt it was that. To me it was nothing short of an unjustified kicking and I can fully understand Mountain's reaction.

Which is exactly what Aiden did when he ate it.

As PrawnCrackers and RedRum said, if that lump of jelly was overly smoky and fishy I can imagine it being horrible. Then what are you left with? A couple of anchovies and some sand ripped off a five year old Heston idea.

At the end of the day he KNEW he was taking a risk doing what he did, it clearly didn't come off as far as the person judging was concerned, so why the hissy fit when he was marked badly?? Want to ensure yourself a 6+? Go for something pedestrian (like todays meat courses). Want to shoot for a 9/10 with the possibility of bombing? Go for something like the Mountain dish, it'll either work or it won't, but if it doesn't don't quit the whole competition.

I have to say that I feel bad for Johnny, but I really enjoyed the main course episode. Maybe they should implement that in the next years GBM, having the mentor helping both chefs to improve their dishes so their region can be better represented at the final?

Edited by Toufas (log)

You have a point &roid but the main argument against you is the fact that the brief does not call for pedestrian. That fact that both main courses today were and went on to get high marks just makes Marcus's judgement even more laughable. He's the guy that should be out of the competition in my books for gross incompetance. Following shortly after him should be the televison production company. Continuing to film after Johnny walked out to allow viewers to hear pots being thrown about off-set was completely unprofessional. I understand that the series is waning but to try to inject interest into it in this way has turned a so called proffesional competition into Big brother car crash TV.

Edited by KaffirLime (log)

I think there was enough technical ability shown in Johnny's dish to merit more than a 2...very insulting score to give him.

Marcus clearly leans towards classical dishes as we saw last night when we raved about essentially a couple of high end meat and two veg plates.

As Ashley Palmer Watts pointed out though, technical ability is not really the aim, every element on the plate still has to taste nice. Clearly that wasn't the case with the dish, everyone that tried it really didn't like it at all. They want boundary pushing food that will be eaten in a celebratory dinner. Serving something that very few people (if any) will like is *massively* missing the brief.

That said, we've only seen what the producers wanted us to see. I'm sure it's all been edited to suit a particular narrative.

As Ashley Palmer Watts pointed out though, technical ability is not really the aim, every element on the plate still has to taste nice. Clearly that wasn't the case with the dish, everyone that tried it really didn't like it at all. They want boundary pushing food that will be eaten in a celebratory dinner. Serving something that very few people (if any) will like is *massively* missing the brief.

That said, we've only seen what the producers wanted us to see. I'm sure it's all been edited to suit a particular narrative.

Exactly.

The GBM format reminds me a little of this

Love it :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

So who's going to win it?

We have eaten both Simon's and Aidens food in the last few weeks, and today actually eaten Aiden's GBM dishes, and do you know what. They are both great chefs, its very difficult to choose.

I am very interested to see what the judges think of all of the dishes, because these guys have been neck and neck throughout the competition.

Not long now.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Felt very sorry for Aiden. I do like that classical approach, perfectly executed with contemporary presentation. I don't quite know what happened over Aiden's tenure at The Dorchester, but it would have been very interesting to see where he would be today had he remained... multiple stars would be my guess.

Going back to Johnny, I don't know how much editorial production and the guest judges liaise, but giving him 2 was asking for it. Compared to the other scores, it put him so far out of touching distance what was the point of carrying on? He could never have caught up. Having said that, and again a BBC issue, it would help if they gave a chef with an actual restaurant a shout. Have I got it wrong, or is Johnny currently a chef without portfolio? Even if he did/does have a venue, he was totally outclassed. I think any member here could have told them that well in advance of the competition. Aunty, if you're reading, call me, I could spare you these blushes! ;-)

That was very close. Simon's food loked fantastic, as did Aiden's.

I cant imagine pork winning the main though - I guess there will be too many non pork eaters for it to win. I think Daniel's chicken creation will take some beating.

I think I will try to fit in a visit to L'enclume some time over the summer.

Martin

Personally this has been one, if not the best week of GBM. Three big personalities in the kitchen with Simon and Aiden cooking their socks off.

Aiden has upped his game this year, his dishes were excellent. just a shame for him that Simon was, as always, on top form, or this would have been Aiden's year.

Must not forget John Mountain who has suffered deep depression through being publically humiliated on national television. His gut wrenching fall into the dark cavernous pit of despair can be read below.

http://chefhermes.com/

He has publically stated thankfully that he is better now.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Yeah Phil Howard seems just a bit full of himself. How long has Marcus been Head Chef at Hibiscus? That surprised me - it was Claude Bossi's baby and he was always a very hands on chef - surprised he's handed over the reins.

Last meal i had at Hibiscus was spoiled by the over use of those lime drop things he had last night, way too bitter and on way too many dishes.

Wasn't my style at all when I visited. Lots of bitter, sharp, odd flavours and tastes. I lean more towards the Phil Howard camp I think!

I also wasn't aware that Claud had handed the reins over to Marcus.

Phil is coming across rather unsavoury, he hasn't embraced modern cuisine at all. Nothing wrong with that, but don't knock what you don't know. He looks far too old for this show, he's missed the boat massively. This years brief is all about innovation and wow factor, can't see Phil progressing.

IMHO the Olympics is about excellence, not innovation. I think there has been a misguided reading of the Olympic theme to mean that the dishes must be ground breaking (usually taken to mean as using "molecular" techniques).