• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu 2012

Some filming has already taken place on this new series and although I don't have a full list of those appearing,

some of the ones who I want to see cook are, (in no particular order).

Simon Rogan, L'enclume, who is fighting it out with Aiden Byrne, (perhaps Manchester's first Michelin star with his new restaurant)? and bristlingly controversial Johnnie Mountain.

Simon Hulstone of Michelin starred The Elephant.

Paul Foster, rising star of Tuddenham Mill.

Phil Howard double Michelin starred chef at The Square.

On another note I could not help but note on my search of previous years threads 2008 had 29,175 views, 2010 had 10,542, and last years dropped even further to 4,779.

Are we becoming bored with the format of the program? Rumour has it that this will be the last one.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

It's a great post work sky+ program to fast forward through the dull bits to the cooking.

The themes become a bit tortured and they seem to pick chefs who can pull off the 'it'll mean everything to me to cook for the 'left handed local community dinner ladies'' schtick that seems prized over cooking ability/interest.

but i'll still watch it.

you don't win friends with salad

one of my favorite shows. would you be able to let us know when it begins as you learn more?

Be my pleasure.

Good to see so much enthusiasm. Last years thread read as though a few people were getting rather blase about it all.

@d_goodfellow1

well I've never watched it so definitely not bored of the format. I don't own a telly but watched much of the last series of masterchef the pro's on iplayer and really enjoyed it (had bever watched this either).

I imagine GBM is far more informative for the eager home cook so I'll definitely try and watch it - altho a day or so behind most of you I guess.

GBM puts the other chef shows to shame. granted its can be a little over dramatic, but once you become a fan you will enjoy the kitchen banter and the judges back and forth.

ive been a fan since season 2 the first one that became 'generally' available. the Queen's lunch also never made it around.

it might not be popular here as if you do not live in GB you have to get it by other means.

I have learned a lot by watching the chefs work. there is not enough of this these days. i learned to hold a particular knife in a different way etc.

but then they have Combi ovens, and that Paco-jet:

http://www.pacojet.com/en/index.php

with Aiden Byrne, (perhaps Manchester's first Michelin star with his new restaurant

Actually that honour would go the French Restaurant at the Midland which, IIRC, was the first restaurant in the UK to receive a star. I'm going back some years, of course.

John Hartley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always watched it but have to confess I'm getting really tired of the American habit of repeatedly telling the viewer what they are about to see, showing them it, then telling them what they saw. Strip out this and the excruciating, pointless "banter" and it feels like each programme has about 5-10 minutes of watchable material. That's probably being a bit harsh, I just think it could be SO much better.

I'm interested to see the north east week, particularly to see how Charlie Larkin (Marquis at Alkham - in Kent) gets on. Lad can certainly cook but has fuck all idea about how to pace delivery of a tasting menu. IMO, of course.

Twice, we've eaten there. Twice herself and I have run out of conversation, other than wondering how long the next fucking plate was going to take.

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

Anyone else get the feeling Alan is getting a bit exasperated? He seems he's completely confounded at not having won it at least twice before and should now be standing in Jeremy Lee's shoes judging the novices :laugh:

There's the voice over and the fake tension. Not to mention the bleeding repetitive format.

I gave up this week and just couldnt be arsed watching the desserts. I think I'll be going back to just watching the Friday programme.

John Hartley

But what about the food?

Good, bad, ugly, unappealing?

Must admit as to not watching it all the way through, as I was busy on my laptop most nights.

Its Midlands next week. Daniel Clifford, who is long overdue a return visit from us. Same with Aktar Islam.

Young gun Paul Foster's food, is the one who I want to have a closer look at.

How will he fare against Michelin big boy Mr Clifford?

@d_goodfellow1

Must admit I didnt think the food seemed that stunning this week. Certainly Alan's starter and fish course looked streets ahead of the rest to me, I still wouldnt see them beign selected for the banquet.

As for the coming week, we keep promising ourselves a couple of days in Brum (we've never been together) and would certainly want to try Lasan and one of the Michelin places in the city.

John Hartley