• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy directly from farmers

I am loving the big markets in Melbourne. One thing I do miss is being about to buy meat directly from local farmers. Any guidance on where I can find good quality meat/poultry directly from farmers? I have a feeling maybe at some local farmer's markets. But which ones?

Hi Anna, all your questions will be answered if you buy this book. Mine is from 2010. From p.47 (Farmers Markets):

- Booroondara Farmers Market, Hawthorn (3rd Sat of each month)

- Caulfield Farmers Market, Caulfield (2nd Sat of each month)

- Cardinia Ranges Farmers Market, Pakenham (2nd Sat of each month)

- Collingwood Children's Farmers Market, Abbotsford (2nd Sat of each month)

- Gasworks Farmers Market, Albert Park (3rd Sat of each month)

- Kingston Farmers Market, Highett (1st Sat of each month)

- Slow Food Melbourne Farmers Market, Abbotsford (4th Sat of each month)

- Veg Out St Kilda's Farmers Market, St Kilda (1st Sat of each month)

All the above markets only open from 8am - 12 or 12:30. Get in early.

As for meat and poultry from farmers, I am not sure. Maybe do a search for some halal places. Halal meat is meant to be fresher than most meat - but bear in mind that some meats benefit from aging. BTW, the meat and poultry we get from some of the better butchers is of excellent quality. What is it you find lacking?

I find that fresh fruit and veggies makes more of a difference when bought from a farmer than from a shop.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

If you're just looking for great meat, I'm sure Keith W and I can give you some recommendations. The big markets--QV comes to mind--tend to have a lot of 'just okay' stalls but most of them will have one or two stalls that sell very, very, very good meat. Consider Sardes', the butcher in QV Market I mentioned in my Melbourne blog. It's located at the entrance to the fish section, just next door to those poultry places. There's Peter Bouchier--you can go all the way to Malvern, if you want, but given you're on the other side of town, iirc, you might want to go to his David Jones Food Hall outlet (Bourke St).

That's just off the top of my head. If you feel like some British classics and an, er, scenic drive, you could always come down to Dandenong and check out Rob's British Butchery.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I guess I've gotten used to buying meat directly from the farmers when I was in Canberra. I liked that I knew where my meat came from. And from knowing the farmers, I knew how the animals were treated. It's not so much that I can't find something or that we're lacking quality butchers. I guess I'm missing the "relationships" that I had.

I haven't had the chance to check out the local farmers markets yet but plan to start this weekend. Thinking of going to Collingwood on Sat and Flemington on Sun. Anyone knows of good stalls at either of these markets?

Sorry Anna, I forgot about this thread. I would not bother going to Peter Bouchier in David Jones in the city. Unlike their branch in Toorak, they do not sell dry aged beef.

In your part of town, you are much better off going to Donato's on Lygon St. The meat is excellent quality and is dry aged on the premises. The butchers are all friendly and will give you good advice. Right opposite Donato's is King and Godfree, one of the best Italian provedores you will find around Melbourne. And nearby is Reading's Carlton - a chain of independent bookstores. The Carlton branch is the best of them. Further down the road on Lygon St (heading north) are a whole bunch of Italian provedores. There is also Melbourne Food Depot - where you can find "molecular" ingredients.

Don't get me started on the restaurants ... but that is off topic ;)

I would suggest you make a day of exploring your area - you live in a really exciting part of town and it is all within cycling distance.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

We've been busy settling in so haven't really explore much other than the large markets. Will definitely need to start exploring this and other nearby neighborhoods soon. There is just so much around here that it will take me a while to get try out all these places. But that will be the exciting part.

Restaurants, yes, we will have to do more exploring. Haven't been going out much as we had to watch our spending. But now that I have a job, no doubt we'll be going out more.