• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure cooker or cutting board?

bonkboo

I don't think I could survive without the pressure cooker I inherited from my grandmother (a small "SEB"). I use it to cook potatoes, make chicken stock, and also make risotto (which works best with a firmer rice such as carnaroli).

the mistake I made when i got my PC is I got a smaller one initially and took it back (unused) and got the medium one when I realized my mistake: making a 'double' Rx takes the same amount of time and minimal more energy.

more to safe and freeze! id srtongly advise to go with the 8 qt. rather then the 6

.... then there is the 10 Qt!

If you do get the pressure cooker, please post frequently about your use of it so I can perhaps get over my irrational fear of them. They sound so wonderful for grains and legumes, and soups, and of course, canning.

Just want to be sure that the original poster knows that a pressure cooker is very different from a pressure canner. One cannot, as far as I know, safely use an ordinary pressure cooker to safely can foods. I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong. :smile:

You can use an ordinary pressure cooker to safely can foods provided it can reach the required pressure and you don't overcrowd it, the main problem is that you can only process small quantities due to the size of the pressure cooker (2 or 3 jars at most unless very small) but it's another use.

So another vote for the pressure cooker, and get one with a spring valve (Fagor or Kuhn Rikon) and the largest you can.

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

the mistake I made when i got my PC is I got a smaller one initially and took it back (unused) and got the medium one when I realized my mistake: making a 'double' Rx takes the same amount of time and minimal more energy.

more to safe and freeze! id srtongly advise to go with the 8 qt. rather then the 6

.... then there is the 10 Qt!

It's nice to have a large pressure cooker, however I don't think that mine is more than 5 quarts and it's still a life saver (we are a family of 3). So if you can't afford a large one, it's still worth considering a smaller model.

I've been using pressure cookers for most of my life and continued to use them in spite of having a big one (21 quart) explode several decades ago but as it was my fault, for filling the thing too full - I wasn't in the kitchen keeping an eye on the pressure regulator, I can't blame the pressure cooker. I had used it for years with no problems.

The newer ones without the separate weight "jiggler" are much safer to use. I have 6 qt. and 10 qt. (Fagor) stainless steel and my canning PC is a 30 qt. All American aluminum.

I also have an electric pressure cooker Farberware 8 qt., which is no longer marketed but mine works great for stock, soup, stews, beans and etc.

A friend has the Fagor multi-cooker and uses it several times a week - she works two jobs and has little time for cooking so it is a necessity.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just a couple of weeks ago I again had three pressure cookers on the stove at once: one with artichokes, to eat that night; one with winter squash, that needed the longest time at pressure, of all the soup ingredients; one with the rest of the makings of the cauliflower/root vegetable/squash curried soup. I've even managed four, though it's really unusual to have the 22qt pressure canner out at the same time as the little ones.

I vote pressure cooker.

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't decided yet, W-S has free shipping on everything until 11:59 p.m. PST tonight. If you can't decide tonight and you're leaning toward a cutting board, they have free shipping until the 26th on Boos end-grain cherry boards. I'd be glad to send you the free shipping code they sent me for that offer.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...