• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The hidden messages in menus

liuzhou

Interesting article about something I have given no thought to as a frequent diner. I've always read menues from laft to right, top to bottom. Weird to find out the conventional wisdom said otherwise, although the article points out that that conventional wisdom was wrong anyways. I've never considered the profit margin of any dish I have ordered but obviously the restaurant has. Kind of neat that they can lead your eye to their more profitable dishes with some little tricks on the menu. I'm going to start paying more attention to my menus.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of menu psychology seems to deal with restaurant economics. I read in an article once that people are likely to spend more money when items are listed in single increments, such as $9 or $9.00; rather than $8.99. Also, that anything that lists the money signs -- $, .99 or dollars, for example, remind consumers of the pain of paying and will turn them off spending as well.

One thing that seems interesting to consider -- what causes menus to fail? Is it a lack of diversity, lackluster menu descriptions or the absence of components whose parts will "mingle" well? It seems that the fault of menus is much broader than personal preference.

Paper quality and fonts would be interesting to delve into as well...and the presence of pictures and how that skews diner's choice. (sometimes it seems it is better to leave something to be desired?)

Kristine

http://www.platosplate.com

“I know something interesting is sure to happen whenever I eat or drink anything”. - Alice in Wonderland