• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meringue Powder in Cocktails?

willows

I was just poking around the baking aisle and came across some meringue powder. Has anyone tried using this stuff as a substitute for egg white in cocktails? It struck me as an interesting experiment, but I'm not going to have the opportunity to run any tests in the next few weeks, so I thought I'd ask.

I wouldn't use it if you can get hold of (and are comfortable using) real egg white. Even powdered egg whites are good to use, but meringue powder has cornstarch, gumming agents, sugar and additional flavourings added (cornstarch to help stop it from forming lumps, and things like Xanthan gum to help stabilize the foam etc)

Due to the additional flavourings you'll end up getting a different result to using egg whites.

It also has alkalides, which are the real problem in developing a stable foam via shaking in a drink.

OTOH, I find that egg white powder works fine in cocktails, and actually might be a superior alternative. I haven't done the side-by-side tests, but I probably will this week. Given that excessive water is the enemy of stable egg foams, I feel like it may be better for, say, a Ramos to use powdered sugar, egg white powder, gin, lemon and lime juices, and cream. Will test this evening.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"