• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Spring Truffle (Tuber Borchii)

ermintrude

Anyone else tried these, very short season mid Jan to March?

I got hold of some via these fellows So this weekend made a white truffle risoto with with anticipation as not knowing what to expect from past experiences- summer truffles were good for price, black winter yes if a bit steep, Chinese truffles Meh and then desert truffles, so far all I have found if a bland creation with little taste but there must be more to them.

just to complicate thing, Even the same species of truffle can be strong/week in smell and or taste one large on wafts a gentle smell but another the size of a pea can stink ouy a kitchen. And also there are poisonous funghi out there to trick you and good fughi that smell like tar, taste well but know one will eat the when all that prevents them is fear.

. This was the first time I have tried spring white truffles and after I purchased them they shortly vanished from the sight. Ordered on Sunday, was informed they'd been hunted on Tuesday and to expect first thing Thursday, When they arrived, very well packed I was disappointed as the aroma was no where near a good winter truffle and was very faint to mild, to be fair I did have a bit of a blocked nose, but even after a good blow not an intense smell. I bought 25g for £35 ($53) which arrived as two large marble size truffles, white on the outside and light/mid brown inside with white viens. I tried a sliver of each and the taste was reminiscent of the winter ones but stronger and more garlicky, So more flavour but less smell and also the thing that truffles do one was three times stronger in taste than the other. Perhaps you eat the smell for the winter whites and eat the taste for the spring ones.

Anyway the risotto worked really well, just a plain risotto made with onions, celery, white wine and freshly made chicken stock and some Parmigiano-Reggianoand butter to finish. My dining companion who's a chef did not see that much difference once they were shaved on the risotto, except again the more garlicky taste. However a few drops of (fake) white truffle oil mixed into the risotto gave it a great lift as it cued the mouth for the truffles.

While mentioning truffle oil and products I orders some from http://www.trufflehunter.co.uk/ as well since I was there, Turned out the 250ml concentrate of both oils is a very good cupboard black/white truffle oil and they were 100% honest about it being flavoured and not 100% real. And it works well, if used with restraint (Or not as for me as splash of flavoured white truffle oil mixed in with UK baked beans is wonderful - could be a perversion of mine but there are worse. And if I can get UK baked beans (Oddly Branston for bet beans, but for best balance to go with the butter, Sainsburys own brand (Not basic or TTD) a bit wet normally but after a few drops of Worcestershire sauce for some kick, a whisper of cayenne and then all mellowed with a monte of butter stired in till it becomes opaque, rich and can then get a mix of white truffle oil before poured over freshly toasted brioche - it's heaven and even used the a whole winter whites to shave over the top.

Anyway the oils for thier price do what it says on the tin and I recommend them. Anyway recommend them for their fresh truffles and flavored oils. But truffle oil used well can be amazing and a £10 bottle goes a long way, truffle'd mash, eggs, rabbit, Ice cream - a small disk of that works well with avruga or caviar (avruga better( keep the caviar for the white chocolate).

Some of the other products black truffle and cep salsa, I used it but to be honest 'Meh' seamed the concentrated oil swamped the summer truffle and porchini but was not cooking with it just heating so could be why. Bad but had better salsas and pasta from this maker http://www.sanpietroapettine.com/ Nom Nom Nom! I purchased several jars at taste of london but now coming to my last one. .

The other product truffle honey, well not tried that yet and yes here is a sliver of white in the small jar, and it has concentrate in it so could be amazing or meh, so I hope so when I someone cute to taste it with we'll report back

img][img]

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I don't purchase any truffle products anymore both fresh and incorporated into any product nor order anything from a restaurant listed as 'truffle'.

The cost has simply caused all sorts of useless fresh products to enter the market and the price of 'real' has been driven up to be prohibitive.

Second, I'd venture to guess almost 100% of the products labeled as containing truffles or essence contain an artificial ester. If you are familiar with the essence of a real black truffle, then you can easily pick out the products, in fact they are generally so strong as to be unpalatable.

It's a sad state of affairs.-Dick

Hi Dick, yup these contain the ester, but what is honest about their truffle oils etc is they admit it and they are sensibly priced. I've yet to find a find a white truffle oil that tasted of anything without the artificial flavour unless very fresh and used quickly (home-made and pricey). Used wisely the ester's can add a lift to some dishes they are what they are.

The main point of the post was to comment on fresh Tuber Borchii and yes I'd order it again. There are loads of truffles out there some taste great others rubbish just posting my experience of this one - anyone else tried this one or others?

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.