• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matching snacks to drinks

Dakki

So, a couple of drinks at a snackless bar underlined how important the finger food aspect of the whole pub experience is for me. And then I remembered all the day-old popcorn, greasy fritters, canned pate canapes and dried out crudite platters I've confronted over the years.

Obviously better-quality versions of the above (and a few others like nuts, maybe potato chips and dip, etc) would be standard, but what if you wanted to get more creative with the snacks? What would you serve at a beer tasting, or a scotch tasting, or on mojito/manhattan/margarita night?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

If I was serving a few different beers, I think I'd stick with the obvious: small bits and pieces of (nice) fried goods. Fried chicken and so on. Tempura. Mushrooms. As for scotch, man, it depends entirely on the kind of scotch. As an example, when I had a BBQ and whisk(e)y night recently, we found that rich, greasy smoked meat (i.e. ribs with BBQ sauce) goes really, really, really well with gutsy Islays (think a 28 year old Coal Ila). You wouldn't be serving that kind of food with a milder dram, such as a Glenmorangie.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between