• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The IKEA Travesty

GlorifiedRice

So apparently a few months ago, IKEA stopped selling all NON IKEA branded food items in their

food markets. Meaning NO Kalles, NO Abba foods, NO Daim, NO Olesens Lutefisk, NO Marabou Chocolates,

NO Bilar or Finax, NO Annas Cookies, NO Leksands...

NO NOTHING thats not IKEA brand

WORLDWIDE!

There are now several angry Facebook groups against their favorite foods being removed

Here are just 2 ANTI IKEA Facebook Pages

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-REAL-food-back-to-IKEA-Swedeshop/209890952383467?ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Only-IKEA-brand-on-food-No-thank-you/146049462133927

I called Wegmans to tell them that they should pick up the ball that IKEA just stupidly dropped.

I am angry! I had to order Fiskbullar and Kalles from Washington state...

Ill never go back to IKEA

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

According to the facebook page they are changing it back, at least temporary, until they have IKEAs replacement products for all items.

See http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/ikea-andrar-sig-om-matleverantorer (in Swedish) or http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dn.se%2Fekonomi%2Fikea-andrar-sig-om-matleverantorer&act=url google attempt at translating (you get the idea). The last sentence fails, it should be something like "How long the transition will be is unclear"

Who wants generic brand when you had the possibility of the original. Most of the scandinavian food items are available also in my homecountry of Finland, and whenever I've felt homesick I would go pick up some Marabou or Leif or Fazer, and now I can't anymore... Well atleast in a while...

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

I don't generally shop Ikea for the food section, though it isn't bad if you like Scandi food, which I do not.

Their return on investment probably doesn't warrant paying the licensing fees for the amount of turnover they have.

What are the chances that the contents of the bottles and containers will remain the same, but just the labels are changing? Is Ikea totally revamping the selection, or just the branding? I'm going to need to take the trip down to Conshohocken and see for myself.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

What are the chances that the contents of the bottles and containers will remain the same, but just the labels are changing? Is Ikea totally revamping the selection, or just the branding? I'm going to need to take the trip down to Conshohocken and see for myself.

The contents of their own chocolate is not the same as what they sold from Marabou. They do not even have equivalents for Daim or other specific products last I was there.

We tried the instant rye bread mix in a 'milk carton'... the mixing in the carton still doesn't work and (as far as I remember) it doesn't taste as as well as as the brand they used to carry. Also the frozen 'daim-pie' they don't carry yet, which is a great miss in my books.

Can't answer for the Kalles, but the bookshelves are going on 20 years, putting them at $1/year, so I think I'll go back despite changes to the food selection.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I still can't forgive IKEA for getting me addicted to and them dropping those raspberry gummy drop candies so many years back. I used to by bags and bags and bags and store them in the freezer. Perfection. It's been ages since I last visited IKEA, sorry to hear they have dropped the daim bars, etc. Hopefully some of the foods have just been rebranded.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 3 months later...

I still can't forgive IKEA for getting me addicted to and them dropping those raspberry gummy drop candies so many years back. I used to by bags and bags and bags and store them in the freezer. Perfection. It's been ages since I last visited IKEA, sorry to hear they have dropped the daim bars, etc. Hopefully some of the foods have just been rebranded.

Same thing here! I think it is just marketing trick, they will make some new brand for their own food products.

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway