• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filled Cookie Recipe

mathewr

All of my cookies are too brittle to be reformed once baked, even the soft ones. Have you considered making the ball in two halves and gluing them together with icing or something like that?

ETA, well, except tuiles, but I don't think you could coax them into spheres...

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Brandy snap dough is normally flexible enough to form once cooked, but like Chris I'd be looking at a cookie that could be baked in hemispheres and then joined after filling (I'd be looking at boiled sugar as the glue, so that it's all but invisible). You'll end up with far less wastage that way.

Brandy Snaps (from a very old edition of the NYTimes cookbook, and my fave recipe for them):

.25 cup light corn syrup

.25 cup molasses

.5 cup butter

1 cup sifted ap flour

.66 cup granulated (white) sugar

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp brandy

1. Preheat oven to slow (300 F)

2. Heat syrup and molasses to boiling. Remove from heat and add butter (stir).

3. Sift together flour, sugar, and ginger. Add gradually, while stirring, to molasses mixture. Mix well. Add brandy. (Stir)

4. Drop by teaspoonfulls three inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes.

5. Remove from oven, loosen one cookie at a time, and form as desired (the book says to roll them into tubes over the handle of a wooden spoon).

6. Serve filled with whipped cream or pudding.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Do you plan on injecting the pudding into the "cookies" as one does with doughnut balls or little cream puffs?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Do you plan on injecting the pudding into the "cookies" as one does with doughnut balls or little cream puffs?

in my head, where everything works perfectly, i bake the cookies put some pudding on them then mold that cookie around the pudding into a ball.

in my head, where everything works perfectly, i bake the cookies put some pudding on them then mold that cookie around the pudding into a ball.

The high moisture content of pudding would likely cause the cookie to fail/leak quite quickly :unsure:

The high moisture content of pudding would likely cause the cookie to fail/leak quite quickly :unsure:

at first i was gonna use all brown sugar to help the cookies be more pliable. maybe i should use all white and when i put the pudding on the cookie hopefully the puddings moisture will help the cookie be pliable enough to shape..

What about a pliable lace cookie filled with truffle chocolate? Instead of truffles in a ball shape, roll them into a thin snake shape and trim them to be as large as your lace cookie. Then roll the truffle snake in the lace cookie...a sort of chocolate-filled lace Pocky. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What about a pliable lace cookie filled with truffle chocolate? Instead of truffles in a ball shape, roll them into a thin snake shape and trim them to be as large as your lace cookie. Then roll the truffle snake in the lace cookie...a sort of chocolate-filled lace Pocky. :laugh:

Or, pipe the filling into the pre-rolled, cooled lace cookie - when the cookies are hot enough to shape, they might melt the chocolate!

If you REALLY want pudding, what about a stove-top cookie such as Rice Krispie Treats for the shell? They are both sturdy and malleable.

Were you happy with the result you got?

for the most part yes. when i bake anything in general i prefer when its gooey. so the pudding in the middle gave it a gooey texture. there are some slight changes id make. i think its got potential.

i did enjoy playing doctor and having to slice the tops off.