• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eva Zeisel died on 12/30/2011 aged 105

andiesenji

For lovers of tableware and ceramics from the mid-twentieth century, the designs of Eva Zeisel are iconic.

I have many pieces, including dinnerware, decorative pieces, a tea service, etc.

In my opinion the designs she produced are timeless in that they appear as new and fresh today as when they were produced. I have the Harlequin dinnerware by Hallcraft purchased new in 1962, some ten years after it was introduced.

She stated her philosophy (and mine also) so well when she told one writer: “Men have no concept of how to design things for the home,” she told a writer. “Women should design the things they use.”

I missed this news when it was first published but fortunately noticed it in one of the monthly bulletins I receive:

Antiques & Collecting Newsletter

I also have a few pieces of the "Fantasy" pattern, received as gifts from people who apparently confused it with the Harlequin pattern. The designs actually do complement each other.

Harlequin plates

Eva Zeisel Harlequin plate.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A few years ago, I had a chance to visit a great exhibit at the Mingei museum in San Diego, Eva Zeisel: Extraordinary Designer at 100. We have a few of her designs from the Classic Century line at home. Really beautiful pieces.

A few years ago, I had a chance to visit a great exhibit at the Mingei museum in San Diego, Eva Zeisel: Extraordinary Designer at 100. We have a few of her designs from the Classic Century line at home. Really beautiful pieces.

San Diego has a Mingei museum? I need to make a trip! I guess if you want to live past a hundred, become a ceramist: Beatrice Wood

It's almost never bad to feed someone.