• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's Discuss Vacuum Bags [MERGED TOPIC]

daves

I am no expert, but I would assume the thicker the better. I use rolls from La.va, which I cut to desired length and seal in each end. I don't know how thick they are, the lable doesn't say, and I have never given it any thought, but they are pretty sturdy and take high cooking temperatures without leaking. I buy them from a hunter's shop here in Norway. Hunters know what they are talking about when it comes to prerservation of meat, so I trust them when they say La.va is the shit.

La.va. bags are 90 µm, they were kind to send me the technical sheet when I asked for it. Don't know how this measure converts to mil, though. The bags are excellent.

You don't state whether you need "channel" bags (for an external clamp machine), or plain bags (for an impulse sealer or a chamber machine). The answers are coming in "channel" bags, as used by FoodSaver machines.

I stock both kinds of bags in bulk, but only one grade: Thick, for optimal freezing, and heatsafe, for sous vide or quick thawing/reheating in simmering water. One can get away with thick bags for sous vide. I never know when I'll then apply heat to a frozen bag, so I only want heatsafe bags in use for any application.

I don't own a chamber vacuum machine, to save space as much as to save money. With sufficient liquid in the pouch, and sufficient practice, an impulse sealer is quicker than any alternative, and does a fine job. I prop it at a slight angle, and slide the open end of the bag over the sealing strip. Grabbing at the low end of the opening with one hand, while squeezing the liquid with the other hand, one burps the air pocket past the high end of the sealing strip. Now one can slide the bag back for more slack if desired, and seal. This is much harder to describe than do (many cooking tasks require far more dexterity), and fast. For example, I freeze all stock this way. It is very convenient to then thaw the stock in a water bath, nick a corner, and pour as needed during a cook such as risotto. One needs this option to complement an external clamp machine, as none are entirely graceful with liquids, which can destroy the pump. An impulse sealer can also handle hot liquids, unlike a chamber machine.

My external clamp machine in each kitchen is a MiniPack Cyclone 30. It draws a stronger vacuum than any FoodSaver I've owned, which contributes to the quality of freezer preservation as much as bag thickness. One needs to use bone guards with it or risk punctures, not my experience with more feeble machines. It also has an adjustable seal, allowing the use of a variety of bags. Any high end machine should have these characteristics; with a FoodSaver or other mainstream machine some bags might prove unsuitable.

Typical channel bags carve the grooves into the bag material. If you're worrying about thickness you should consider the minimum thickness taking into account these grooves, not the nominal thickness. Channel bags feels and act flimsy because of the channels; one falls in love with the plain bags after experience with an impulse sealer.

VacMaster takes a novel approach to working around this problem: They add channel material inside a standard plain bag, not compromising the bag itself. I love these bags, which are heatsafe. I buy them bulk, and use them with my external clamp machine.

VacStrip Bags by VacMaster

Vacuum Chamber Pouches by VacMaster

Bone Guard

The chamber pouches are also available on Amazon. MiniPack includes samples of their channel bags, more conventional in design, but nice and also heatsafe.

• Like 1
Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

• 3 months later...

I'd like to bring this up.

I also read this

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145126-vacuum-sealer-bags/?hl=%2Bvacuum

Thanks to Syzygies for explaining so much about bags.

I'd like to know if anybody buys from these sites and what do you think of these bags

http://www.thevakshack.com/Home.html

http://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/About_Us.html

Do you buy multiple sizes and rolls, what are your preferences.

Thanks

I'd like to bring this up.

I also read this

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145126-vacuum-sealer-bags/?hl=%2Bvacuum

Thanks to Syzygies for explaining so much about bags.

I'd like to know if anybody buys from these sites and what do you think of these bags

http://www.thevakshack.com/Home.html

http://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/About_Us.html

Do you buy multiple sizes and rolls, what are your preferences.

Thanks

i have, they work great, and are super cheap. BUT they are much thinner than the Foodsaver bags. Even if they claim to be the same mil thickness, they're not.

I use the "quart" and "gallon" size.

I got mine on ebay. Take a look there. The bags are from italy, funnily enough.

I think its important to understand that thickness might have to do with seal failure rate

it certainly has massive implications if you SV and hope to Chill / freeze. it will fail in the freezer, over time and

and get you ice crystals in your SV packet.

you dont what to use your freezer? maybe a double seal on these will do the job nicely, if you just plan to keep the packets super cold in your Refirg.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys,

first post here :biggrin:

just a question about vacuum pouches..

received our new polyscience circulator at the restaurant today and was wondering what pouches everyone uses?

are they all around the same price point?

is there a particular brand you use? or specification (i've read somewhere to look for 90MU/3.5mm)

also sizes? how many different bags do you keep at hand?

this is all new to me, can't wait to get into it!

looking forward to hearing your opinions,

oksana