• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coolest Photos in a Cookbook

weinoo

Sure, there are a lot of cookbooks with great food and cooking technique photos. NOMA comes to mind, as does the seminal Modernist Cuisine set of books. I often pull out a volume or two, just to show a friend the photos.

But lately, I've been thumbing and rethumbing through the relatively new Marcus Samuelsson book, New American Table. The non-food shots are great.

Do you have any cookbooks you look through specifically for the photography?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've been wanting to eat his food for a while, Have you made anything from it yet?

I'll nominate 2 books that I don't actually own but think have great pics: Thai Street Food by David Thompson and Oaxaca al Gusto by Diana Kennedy.

I'll nominate 2 books that I don't actually own but think have great pics: Thai Street Food by David Thompson and Oaxaca al Gusto by Diana Kennedy.

Interesting choice to include Oaxaca al Gusto here... I own it, and to be honest I think most of the photography is quite poor by the standards of today's cookbooks. Kennedy is a great cook and a great cookbook writer, but IMO not a great photographer.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

There are some beautiful photos in Grace Young's Breath of a Wok. Some great pictures of woks (natch) and ingredients, but the pictures of people cooking, making a wok, showing off their wok/food, etc are even better. The pictures really show off one of the book's core ideas, the forging of connections between people through food and tradition.

nunc est bibendum...

I've barely begun to scratch the surface, but Notes from a Kitchen is one book that is certainly up there in the beauty of the photography. Definitely not a cookbook, but a book about chefs and their passion/obsession the artwork/photography almost overshadows the printed word.