• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don't like milk chocolate and have 6 pounds of it

Darienne

There's about 6 pounds of Guittard Milk Chocolate sitting in my basement, leftover from a long Christmas story which no one needs to hear. I don't like the taste of milk chocolate: never have, never will.

I can always use it over a longish period in cakes, icings, candies, ice cream, whatever, to give away.

However, is there some way to hide/mask/alter the milk chocolatey-ness of it and use it for things we, as confirmed dark bittersweet chocolate lovers, might enjoy?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Pistoles, I assume? Put 'em in zip-top bags to give away at Halloween.

Or you could make one of David Lebovitz's milk chocolate ice creams, like this one.

Or combine it with bittersweet chocolate to do the homemade version of Nutella, like here.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

When it comes to baking, I totally understand. While I'll happily eat milk chocolate by the block I can't think of a single recipe where it works well, as even as well as dark chocolate. Mousses, cakes, cheesecake, souffles, macarons, gateaux, cookies - I've been thinking about this all day and I can only sympathise and agree with you that when it comes to baking - only dark will do. (Obviously this is a personal preference and no disrespect intended for those who like baking with milk chocolate). There's something about baking with milk chocolate that seems to make it even milkier, in a disappointing way.

So I would try going in the opposite direction (embrace the milkiness) and grate it into hot milk and drink it as hot chocolate, with a dash of cocoa powder to supply the richness. I'm not even convinced that this would work but if you've got 6 pounds of the stuff it's not hard to try ;-)

Are you back in Canada? If so and you'd rather get rid of it then disguise it, pack it up and I'll buy it. I have a non-work-related project coming up that I'm going to have to order some for anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Alex: not pistoles, but in a block. Nutella is a good idea but not in our eating household.

Wholemealcrank: I haven't tried to combine it with unsweetened chocolate or cocoa. Wasn't sure that you actually could with impunity.

Merstar: I might try the espresso or cocoa powder idea and see what I get.

ChrisZ: eat it? I'd have to be pretty hungry to do so. I was a war baby (WWII for you youngsters) and raised without sugar. Just don't like very sweet stuff.

Tri2Cook: thanks for the offer. Will PM you. BTW, weighed it properly: 7 lbs, 4 oz right now. I think I'll melt some and add the cocoa and/or espresso.

Thanks again all.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

No problem. If you decide you'd rather experiment with it, please do and have fun with it. That's always a noble use for ingredients. The offer stands just in case you don't find something that makes it work for you, there's no hurry at my end. I'm just going to be doing some experimenting of my own and there's no particular timeframe involved. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.