• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crisp Pizza Crust

Chris Hennes

Not cracker-like, more pita-like, but very thin and crispy: focaccia col formaggio di Recco from Reinhart's American Pie. I tasted it at a demo that Reinhart gave when he was publicizing the book. Reinhart's version was very rich with olive oil and cheese topping--I remember oil dripping on my hands. A little too much for me, but others liked it. Method and recipe here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/147-focaccia-col-formaggio-di-recco.html

• 7 months later...

I haven't tried this yet, but if you're willing to experiment, you might try adding a goodly amount of cornstarch to the dough. I've been thinking about this in relation to getting a crispy outer crust on a thick crust Sicilian pizza. I was inspired by an experiment I did with using a dough starter in a waffle iron. With a straight starter (100% hydration, 2% salt and a pinch of yeast left at room temp overnight) I got waffle shaped bread (very interesting, but without any practical application that I could see). When I added cornstarch and some sugar for added browning (among some other things) I ended up with quite a nice crunch on the outside.

What temp are you looking to bake at? Something I do with my pizzas is bake at 500 basically until done using a pizza screen, then I put the screen on the oven floor to darken and crisp it. I like how the crust comes out on a stone, but sometimes its just easier to do it this way. And about crackers, in addition to long baking and temperature, a cracker dough has much less hydration then a pizza dough, if you looking for that I'd decrease the hydration on a pizza recipe and see if you like the results. Hope fully that hasn't been mentioned before, I didn't read through all the other posts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2