• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Critical Couple - gone and back

Not been following Critical Couple of late but noticed a lack of posts on their blog.

Looked at their twitter account and it appears that they have had enough of blogging for now, but may reconsider things in three months time.

What do you think, happy, sad, indifference?

Tweet, Tweet

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Indifferent as it was just another blog, I read it once and never went back.

What does concern me is how they were abused and hounded through social media by people who one would have thought were old enough to know better. We all recall stories of how adolescents have been cyber bullied to the point of suicide, and we all tut tutted, but here were so-called liberals forming fascist groups to destroy some people they didn't like, just because they were different and didn't play with the popular kids.

Even more alarming was the fact, if I recall correctly, that some professional food writers joined the witchhunt!

This is the dark side of social media, adults behaving as if it were a school playground and no dinner lady to step in.

Indifferent. Sort of.

Bloggers come and go. Posters to discussion boards come and go.

I enjoyed the CC's writings on the occasions when I read the blog. As I enjoy writings on some discussion boards. And the writings of some professional restaurant critics. I can't afford to eat at their level, except on fairly rare occasions, so it gives me something of a secondhand experience.

John Hartley

My point is that if one doesn't like a particular blog or is bored by it, then the thing to do is surely not to read it? That's what I do anyway.

To instead read again and again and then hound and abuse the blogger, via twitter and other social media, is adolescent behaviour and rather perverse too.

The main complaints against CC seemed to be that:

a) they were wealthy

b) they weren't running with the pack

c) they weren't Guardian readers

Hardly justification for what they received. Although it's unlikely I will ever read them, too many blogs too little time, I hope the cyber bullies don't put them off trying again. Censorship by baying mob is not pretty.

S

I'm personally a bit disappointed, as I thought they added an extra dimension to blogging, especially with their chefs dinners. This no doubt got up the noses of a number of their dissenters as it appeared elitist.

As has been pointed out, if you do not like someones blog, do not read it, or at least have the balls to put your name to your nasty comments, (some hope).

Although I did not always agree with everything reported, on balance I found their reviews pretty accurate, and looked forward to reading about places that we had not yet visited.

I fear we may have heard the last of them, but they have said they will give it three months or so for a final decision.

@d_goodfellow1

Yeah i have to admit i was peed off when i found out that they were quitting.It was their blog and Londoneaters photography that got me into it all in the first place....Theyve cost me a bloody small fortune. I`ve used their blog to weigh up most of the restaurants ive eaten at in London.If i didnt like the look of the food in a particular place then i just searched their blog for something more up my street.

I like the air of mystery surrounding them...who are they...how old are they , what do they do etc etc.So when i finally met up with them for dinner at Sat Bains i was pleasantly surprised.They were both young ,totally normal and 100% down to earth people...They were both good company and fun to be around.

Sad...but i hope they see sense and hit back after their "short" break.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

The main complaints against CC seemed to be that:

a) they were wealthy

b) they weren't running with the pack

c) they weren't Guardian readers

I don't think it was that Sunbeam. More their very high-handed style that was frequently founded upon an obvious lack of knowledge and understanding. I am sure they are lovely people, but the voice of their pen had a distinct narcissism and ignorance about it. Having said that I can only assume their knowledge would grow in tandem with their experiences so, despite my criticisms of them, makes it an ironic shame they've now chosen to bow out.

And no one can deny they stimulated more than one lengthy, interesting debate/thread in their time. For two people who weren't actually food professionals they manged to make a very big noise in quite a short period of time.

I don't follow their blog almost at all but I remember being quite irritated at the time by some silly, nasty comments about them on egullet which were clearly inspired by envy/jealousy (there must be some angry comment by me in an old thread, unless it has been removed).

This is not to say that they cannot be criticised for their knowledge of food (I also spotted some blunders) but is it really such a big deal for non-professionals? And restaurateurs can always write in to correct factual mistakes if they wish. What harm do they do?

They seem a clever, fun loving couple with a particular talent for generating publicity (fans, do not worry: they WILL be back :smile: ). I have a soft spot for people rich with money and time who put these precious resources to a noble use, i.e. eating. But I was shocked and appalled to read above that they are not Guardian readers. Maybe they really are bad people :smile:

I will miss them very much, however maybe they were just "pop up" bloggers :smile:

Did you ever go to one of their dinnners David?

No, but I would have liked to have gone to one though.

I do not know them, and the guest lists for the dinner parties were increasingly full of high profile individuals, top chefs and food critics etc, and would perhaps preclude someone of my rank.

Although my wife thinks me to be quite an interesting person :wink:

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall though.

@d_goodfellow1

There were a number of things that I disliked about CC, I say dislike because hate is a very strong word in my world.

The manipulation of PR, name dropping & attention seeking are just three things which irritated me. Maybe tinged with a soupçon of jealousy, after all we started at the same time and they've clearly done very well in growth terms.

But yet again this "I'm taking my ball home because I don't play any more" attitude just makes me laugh. In a post about bloggers (in which they were quoted) Johnnie Mountain commented by saying:

He needs no affirmation, admiration or condemnation for his acts!! He’s not looking for more followers, in fact, he may just fuck the whole thing off quite soon.

That was July. Maybe they just want to do the LMQS christmas post, I don't know.

Many will sight the lack of insight, technical knowledge & average writing and yes they are contributing factors. But really people hating them? So far I've had to put up with 7 fake parody accounts on twitter & facebook and months of crank phone calls, which all seem to stop once I'd put a bully on the spot. I've seen none of this type of behaviour on twitter towards them and if you want to put yourself out there as a blogger then you have to accept most criticism in what ever form it manifests itself in.

To me, I'm not phased either way but don't pull the age old trick of crying wolf or maybe somebody just didn't get enough hugs as a child. Who knows.iphone screen grab.jpg

The Chef Hermes blog

Can be followed on Twitter: @chefhermes

Or Facebook:Chef Hermes group page

• 5 weeks later...

I wouldn't call The Bleeding Heart or Simpsons Tavern fine-dining, which they obviously have a preference for, so not quite sure why they appear to have changed tack on choice of venues. It's a bit like sending Brian Sewell to judge a primary school art competition.

. . . .

This is not to say that they cannot be criticised for their knowledge of food (I also spotted some blunders) but is it really such a big deal for non-professionals? And restaurateurs can always write in to correct factual mistakes if they wish. What harm do they do?

. . . .

They can't hide behind the 'Oh, but we're not professionals' tree, if they set themselves up as critics with a wide audience. It isn't at all unreasonable to measure them against the standard for all restaurant critics. If you want to play with the big boys, even by implication, you need to expect and accept the big boy rules.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

It's a bit like sending Brian Sewell to judge a primary school art competition.

Oh please.

That is the worst analogy I've ever heard of.

For a start Mr Sewell is a well respected in his industry, professional & an expert critic, the critical couple are none of these.

If you drive Ferrari everyday it doesn't make you the font of all knowledge about cars.

But yet again, they are generating interest by this cry wolf attitude. If they were really that bothered they would scrap their blog & start again. New name etc and see where it goes.

I'm done talking about this subject, am now bored of it.

The Chef Hermes blog

Can be followed on Twitter: @chefhermes

Or Facebook:Chef Hermes group page

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A real pleasure to report that The CC have raised over £7000 for their charity choice Manna Society.

Simon Rogan and his top team will be cooking at the next Chefs diinner for a guest list of 12? in early July.

It is rumoured to be 25?plus courses of food.

@d_goodfellow1

. . . .

. . . .

They can't hide behind the 'Oh, but we're not professionals' tree, if they set themselves up as critics with a wide audience. It isn't at all unreasonable to measure them against the standard for all restaurant critics. If you want to play with the big boys, even by implication, you need to expect and accept the big boy rules.

And not buying the .co.uk version of their domain name is a classic school boy error. http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

• 2 weeks later...

Oh to be on the guest list for that!

We were, and very gateful to be too.

It was fabulous breaking bread with like minded fun people.

A total of 12 guests including CC themselves attended.

Simon Rogans food was terrific as always. 27 courses in total including wine, champagne, and pre/ after dinner drinks. He and his teams contribution was immense and given freely.

A remarkable £8400 was raised for charity. By any standards an amazing amount of money, and especially given the low key nature of this event.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.com/dinners-2012.html

critical couple 016.JPG

critical couple 022.JPG

critical couple 068.JPG

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

@d_goodfellow1