• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

weinoo

Starbucks Goes Blonde

I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur, but there is one within walking distance and I pretty much live on it. I would be curious to know if there are any alternatives to coffee houses that I might try in order to gage the difference.

Then again when I say 'coffee' I mean sweet syrupy type drinks loaded with sugar and a pinch of coffee.

It seems as though they are kind of the McDonald's of coffee as in they have a new flavor of the month .

On a side note I think their instant VIA stuff is passable for the lazy tired morning coffee drinker.

Then again when I say 'coffee' I mean sweet syrupy type drinks loaded with sugar and a pinch of coffee.

That's a whole different ballgame: my Saturday morning ritual includes a stop at Starbucks for a Mocha (grande, one pump, nonfat, no whip... sometimes they even get it right!). And I agree that VIA is an acceptable "coffee of last resort" when the next option is McDonald's <shudder>.

• Similar Content

• By Tammy
      I hope this isn't an idiot question.  But I have no idea what the differences are.  Please teach me.
    • By Bentley
      I had a request for a coffee flavored bon bon.  I am not a coffee fan, so I've never made anything with it.  I've seen two types of recipes - one that infuses the cream with the beans and one that uses brewed coffee.  I'm curious which type of recipe is used by most people here.  If you infuse the cream, are you straining the beans out or are you using a fine enough grind to not create textural problems in the ganache?  If you use brewed coffee, are you reducing the cream by the amount of the coffee liquid on a one to one basis?  Thanks!