• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stainless Steel French Fry Cutters

Paul Bacino

Not sure I want to spend more than 200$. But we entertain for 12-15 sometimes and would like to make fries, some suggestions on equipment to cut them?

I would think , it would have multiple blades 1/4-3/8-1/2 inch fries ? Long enough to do sweet potato? Portable?

Thoughts?

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Try one of these http://www.bron-coucke.com/version_gb/index.php the website is a bit rubish but the Mandoline is fab. Can do Fries, chips, cross hatch etc and under $200 http://www.amazon.com/Bron-Professional-Stainless-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001AMGQ78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327527740&sr=8-1

One thing USE the pusher or some sort of protection if your not used (or even if you are) using one as they can do real damage if you are not 100% focused.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I've got the DeBuyer Professionnelle V, with the addition of a long pusher attachment. It makes short work of anything, including chips, and comes in its own attache case for portability. While it's more than your limit, it does so much more than just being a french fry cutter.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Dan,

I saw that, but only takes 6" potatoes ( the one I looked at ). Now I have to go home and do some random measuring. I know sweet potatoes would have to be halved for sure.

I might check our local restaurant supply company .

Cheers

Its good to have Morels

• 4 weeks later...

How about one of these old fashion wall mount jobs?

I recently bought one of those, with the Weston brand name on it -- if you search Amazon you'll find lots of other brands selling the same device.

It came quickly enough, but seven days later, the 1/2" blade that I ordered on the 12th still only says that it has left the shippers facility and is in transit. I've never seen such lack of feedback from FedEx before. The blade was $15.59, and $10.48 for shipping! Outrageous!

My machine came with the 3/8" blade, and a pusher assembly that matches it. I'm assuming the 1/2" will have a corresponding pusher assembly.

I first tried the unit with the 3/8" blade, using the suction cups that come with it on my heavy meat cutting board. But I've got a couple of torn tendons in my rotator cuff, and I couldn't push the potato through it. So I mounted a couple of 1/2" x 16" oak boards to the studs on the hallway wall to the laundry room, and used four carriage bolts to mount the cutter to the boards. It's not going anywhere, and now I can pull down with my full weight. I suspended the handle with a string and a eye-bolt, to keep it out of the way.

It's a bit of a nuisance to disassemble and clean afterwards, and particularly so if it isn't wall mounted. You unscrew three wing nuts to remove the cutter blade, then use a screw driver to remove the pusher plate. I think I'm going to look for a sheet of Plexiglass or something that I can just put on top of the potato -- maybe a square of folded aluminum foil that could be discarded afterwards.

I'm hoping that the 1/2" blade will be sharper than the one that comes with it. But because there aren't as many blades to push through, I'm sure than the 1/2" one will be easier to use.

I've been trying to improve on, or at least simplify, the ultrasonic starch-infused French fries from Modernist Cuisine. If I could cut up a bunch of potatoes, boil them, starch-infuse them, and maybe par-fry them once and then freeze them, I could prepare a bunch over the weekend, and then just pop them in the deep fryer once more before dinner during the week.