• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

More than once in this topic, I was asked about Chinese truffles and warned people off them. They are a pale imitation of the European truffles. I'd only had them once, in a restaurant here in town and was, to say the least, underwhelmed.

Yesterday, I saw some and decided to give them a full test.

ChineseBlackTruffles.thumb.jpg.0d98d022ea6ef8f02c2107aee208f6d0.jpg

These are from Yunnan province which borders Myanmar/Burma, Laos and Vietnam and Tibet and they are between 5 and 7  cm / 2 to 2¾ inches in diameter and were the largest.

Almost scentless and flavour-free. So my advice remains the same. Avoid.

liuzhou

liuzhou

More than once in this topic, I was asked about Chinese truffles and warned people off them. They are a pale iitation of the European truffles. I'd only had them once, in a restaurant here in town and was, to say the least, underwhelmed.

These are from Yunnan province which borders Myanmar/Burma, Laos and Vietnam and Tibet and they are between 5 and 7  cm / 2 to 2¾ inches in diameter and were the largest.

liuzhou

liuzhou

More than once in this topic, I was asked about Chinese truffles and warned people off them. They are a pale iitation of the European truffles. I'd only had them once, in a restaurant here in town and was, to say the least, underwhelmed.

These are from Yunnan province which borders Myanmar/Burma, Laos and Vietnam and they are between 5 and 7  cm / 2 to 2¾ inches in diameter and were the largest.

liuzhou

liuzhou

These are from Yunnan province which borders Myanmar/Burma, Laos and Vietnam and the are between 5 and 7  cm / 2 to 2¾ inches in diametre and were the largest.

liuzhou

liuzhou

These are between 5 and 7  cm / 2 to 2¾ inches in diametre and were the largest.