• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourbon Recommendation?

pastrygirl

I'm decidedly NOT a fan of bourbons and whiskey, yet want to create a dark chocolate and bourbon truffle that will satisfy bourbon lovers. Woodford Reserve was recommended to me, but it was out of stock at both liquor stores I visited today, so I need another idea.

What bourbon would you recommend to pair with 70% dark chocolate and a hint of caramel?

Thanks!

I going to venture to say that it probably doesn't matter much. For something inexpensive but decent I'd recommend Rebel Yell from Trader Joes (elsewhere will cost more). I also think that the flavors of bourbon and brandy are quite similar and that brandy might work as well or better given the lower alcohol content.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

If you're cooking it I wouldn't spend the money on something as dear as Woodford, though it is delicious. A mid-priced bourbon that I like quite a bit is the Jefferson's Small Batch. That will run you about $27-30, as opposed to $38-45 for the Woodford. A relatively inexpensive bourbon that tastes pretty good is the Evan Williams. Four Roses or Wild Turkey fall into this category as well. You could get a bottle of any of these in the $14-20 range. If you really need the bourbon bite, Wild Turkey 101 overproof would do the trick.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It occurs to me that a truffle made with a smokey Islay scotch would be incredible. Smoke and dark chocolate seem good to my imagination. If you're making these professionally, the market would be smaller than for bourbon truffles, though. Bowmore Legend is reasonably priced.

Since you hate whiskey, I'm sure lots of us here would be happy to serve as marketing consultants. As a courtesy to you, of course. :wink:

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

The sweetness of bourbon would go well in a dessert and when cooking with bourbon would stick to lower priced bourbons. Yet in a truffle you may want a good bourbon as you would taste it quite well. In my bourbon balls the flavor of the bourbon comes through very well

As to smoky scotch. I've had some homemade marshmallows that were flavored with Ardbeg which were really delicious.

It occurs to me that a truffle made with a smokey Islay scotch would be incredible. Smoke and dark chocolate seem good to my imagination. If you're making these professionally, the market would be smaller than for bourbon truffles, though. Bowmore Legend is reasonably priced.

I think of scotch as a much more polarizing flavor (and inclined to get people thinking that they'd like it, and being wrong) than bourbon. Then again, that might be because I have a bottle of Bowmore 12 year that's about to go down the drain because I can't find anyone that will drink it...

Buffalo Trace works beautifully with the Callebaut 70% that we use. Not terribly expensive either (around $40 / L up here).

Buffalo Trace is a good choice (great in cocktails too!).

Here we can get it for ~ $20 a bottle.

To clarify, it would be used uncooked in a ganache center, and it has to be bourbon (not scotch) because this is to humor my GM who has been bugging me for months to make bourbon bonbons so we can call them bour-bons and feel clever. :rolleyes: The Woodford is about $37 for a 750, which is fine, I only need a few tablespoons per batch. The chocolate did dominate in the test batches, but I still want to use the best spirit I can afford, even if it is only for name recognition. We have a good variety at the bar at work, so I'll have to look into these suggestions. Thanks!

To clarify, it would be used uncooked in a ganache center, and it has to be bourbon (not scotch) because this is to humor my GM who has been bugging me for months to make bourbon bonbons so we can call them bour-bons and feel clever. :rolleyes: The Woodford is about $37 for a 750, which is fine, I only need a few tablespoons per batch. The chocolate did dominate in the test batches, but I still want to use the best spirit I can afford, even if it is only for name recognition. We have a good variety at the bar at work, so I'll have to look into these suggestions. Thanks!

Given this, I'd add my vote for Buffalo trace, which I've actually used in a ganache; the result was extremely well-received, and I'd describe the flavour as accessible, but still intriguing.

I've made truffles flavoured with bourbon and whisky on several occasions, because my boyfriend is big on them, so we always have a variety on hand; they always come out well.

. . . . I have a bottle of Bowmore 12 year that's about to go down the drain because I can't find anyone that will drink it...

<sigh> My boyfriend, who loves Bowmore, was reading over my shoulder and went almost numb with horror, and pleaded with me to suggest that you find another fate for it, such as cocktails or regifting, or... chocolates :wink:

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org