• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Aging Success

Kerry Beal

Some of you may recall my last attempt at dry aging a rib primal just before Easter and the difficulty I had deodorizing my stinky fridge thanks to the primal spending 4 days pretending to be in a body farm rather than at 4º C.

So today 30 days was finally up on an inexpensive primal that I picked up on Christmas eve. I tucked it in the fridge and ignored it until this morning when it was time to cut it up.

6755366133_4017c8cbd7_z.jpg

For a first cut I took of the 3 ribs from the flank end for a nice prime rib.

6755366225_b57b88ec33_z.jpg

Then cut between the remaining ribs for a couple of little steaks.

6755366473_97448968ea_z.jpg

Vacuum packed it all up for the freezer.

6755366521_92c3879807_z.jpg

Here are the trimmings from the end and a tiny bit off the fat - I trimmed minimally.

6755366609_79895eb587_z.jpg

Looking forward to my first taste of this. It smells wonderful and sweet - think it's going to be quite amazing.

"a couple of little steaks." Yeah. Little. :laugh: How you going to cook it?

Sous vide at 55º C for a few hours, followed by browning on the BGE at about 800º F.

Kerry, why freeze uncooked? I usually cook and cut into potions before freezing.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Kerry, why freeze uncooked? I usually cook and cut into potions before freezing.

I assume you mean sous vide before freezing? I often do that, but this time just wanted to get things in the freezer for now.

Finally got around to cooking one of my little steaks. My SV unit is in the shop (well - hubbies electronic shop) so I had to do it the old fashioned way on my Big Green Egg. I put the cast iron grate on the spider down close to the lump and the regular grate up on the raised grill.

A minute or so on each surface on the cast iron grate, then onto the raised grill for a total of about 25 minutes.

6792713625_9eda72fd87_z.jpg

6792713323_e3e577c9c3_o.jpg

It was an excellent steak - best I've ever had? - wouldn't say so. I think next time I'll start with a better grade of beef, with a thicker fat cap - and I might even go 45 days.

It looks really good :) One thing I wondered is , was it wet aged before you dry aged it? Or did you get a fresh butchered primal to dry age yourself? I would like to try this one of these days but don't want to screw up a large piece of meat if I can help it.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

It looks really good :) One thing I wondered is , was it wet aged before you dry aged it? Or did you get a fresh butchered primal to dry age yourself? I would like to try this one of these days but don't want to screw up a large piece of meat if I can help it.

It was cryovaced - but I don't know how long. One of the guys on Green Eggers.com who has done a lot of dry aging thinks the best combo is 45 days wet aged followed by 45 dry aged.

Those steaks look amazing.

On a related note, we've just tried dry aging a sirloin at work for 45 days, and it's been a bit of a failure. The fat has taken on a great flavour, but the meat inside has a somewhat tainted taste, what could have gone wrong?

James.

I do my fare-share of home aging.. I'm a 30/30 guy, now. BUT, I do like the 45/45 idea (thanks )

Put in the bottom of a clean frig, on a wire cookie cooling rack, so you get air-circulation ( all around ) .

Never had a problem

English.. looks like this

3256253647_b389f841c2.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Eternal,

My frig runs @ about 34 degrees F, I imagine on the lower shelve . I cant check internal humidity. Am I worried about contamination, of the meat or the frig? Probably not. My locker frig is pretty clean, thou.

Why? It has to do with whole muscle proteins, as opposed to ground meats. In which bacteria will get ground/ impregnated into the meat.

I don't have a good source just google

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

I do my fare-share of home aging.. I'm a 30/30 guy, now. BUT, I do like the 45/45 idea (thanks )

Put in the bottom of a clean frig, on a wire cookie cooling rack, so you get air-circulation ( all around ) .

Never had a problem

English.. looks like this

3256253647_b389f841c2.jpg

That's pretty much exactly what the meat guy did (I work fish), but it took on an odd, almost tainted taste. I wondered if it had to do with the wet aging process that cryovacced meat undergoes.

My name is James, by the way :) I probably should put that in my signature haha.

James.

That's pretty much exactly what the meat guy did (I work fish), but it took on an odd, almost tainted taste. I wondered if it had to do with the wet aging process that cryovacced meat undergoes.

BINGO! Any meat that is wet aged benefits from a few hours of drying out to freshen the aromas. Also many internal muscles (hanging tenders, top blade) may exhibit a liver after-taste that may be eliminated by air-drying a few hours and bringing to room temp before cooking.

The most important factors in successful dry-aging are sanitation, higher humidity, lower temperature and air movement. Many refrigerators have crispers that use a fan to lower temps. High humidity is difficult but it helps to wrap your primal with cheese cloth to retard moisture loss.

Tim