• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canning (Jarring) Duck Confit

NoviceModernistCook

Sorry if this has been written about so far, but I looked and could not find it.

I am about to make a large bit of Duck Confit, and curious what is the process to can (in a jars) the confit. I read the Duck Confit thread, and the writer stated you could jar them and it would last, but it was light in detail since that was not the actual topic he was writing about.

I am finding it hard to find actual information on the web or in preserving books to actually preserving the cofit. Here are my questions if anyone can help....

1. How long do i boil the jars to ensure everything is sterile. ( i plan on using the smallest Ball jars )

2. Can I keep the preserved confit in a basement or cool place versus in the fridge. My point in preserving this is to keep from the fridge.

3. Any idea how long it will last, or i guess how long until the layer of duck fat on the top will last before it spoils/goes rancid ?

4. Can i use a water bath (sous vide or without bag) to heat the jars? I do not have a pressure cooker but do have a Polyscience Immersion Circulator.

5. If yes on the Polyscience Immersion Circulator, any idea on temp etc. Any luck with bags or no bags?

Thanks for any help !

Confit is a method that was created to preserve meat. If you follow traditional methods of brining, cooking, and storing covered in fat, it should last around six months in a dry, cool place.

If you want it to last longer or wish to reduce the salt content, you will need to pressure can it.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I think that modern tastes for salt levels result in a confit that is not safe to store at room temp in the traditional way: then again, if you are using the sous vide method for making the confit, the stuff will keep in the bags you cooked it in (unopened) in the refrigerator for a long time, and in the freezer basically forever (as Bud notes). I wouldn't screw around with canning unless you are really desperate for the fridge space.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Sorry everybody, but I don't agree. You can preserve your confit in jars; the French do it all the time.

Make sure your jars are well sterilized and that they have a good sealing method. I do mine in the oven using tongs to lift them out.

Carefully pack in your confit being sure not to touch anything with a non-sterilized hand or implement.

Pour duck fat that has been strained through cheese cloth over the confit making sure there is a least a 1/2 inch layer over any piece of confit.

Let cool then store somewhere cold & dry where there is some air circulation.

To my personal knowledge confit will keep at least 6 months this way. You can even open the jar, dig some confit out, gently heat the fat & pour it back over to reseal.

The local French people wouldn't dream of eating their confit for a least 2 months after canning. They say it takes that long for the proper flavor to develop. Make sure you cook the confit thoroughly before eating.

In fact I'm tempted to make confit right now as the markets are offering 'cuisse's' (the leg & thigh piece) at about $2.10 a pound. These make the best confit.

Strangely Dave, that's what I thought many of us were saying. It's just that you need to use appropriate amounts of salt to make it safe. Any drop in the salt levels and you'll need to can or freeze the confit.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I didn't necessarily know what I was doing and can't guarantee that others trying this won't get sick. BUT. I have basically canned confit with an open-kettle type method (as I understand it) in half-pint ball jars and I still have a little bit (pork) that is over 2 years old now. However--I have kept it refrigerated throughout. Makes great rillettes or little bit of meat for a light meal for two.

Fan favorite is to crisp it up and garnish a wedge salad with it.

And something else to note: confit becomes less aggressively salty tasting as it matures. Something that's basically inedible due to salt a week after potting will be divine two-three months later. I did some lamb shanks confit in olive oil a while back and didn't account for the significant bone weight--salt was overbearing and the stuff was awful. I potted it and forgot about it for a year. Awesome stuff now, love to garnish beans and soups with it. But again, I kept it under refrigeration the entire time.

If you have the space, minifridges can be had on craigslist for cheap (or on sale new at Home Depot) and if you like projects like this it's not a bad idea to consider acquiring one.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Thanks everyone for the info. Will give it a shot. The confit recipe we are using does create a salty confit when we eat it right away, great point that the salt taste "mellows" over time. It seems the recipe we are using may be right then for jarring.

Great point about freezing them in the bag too. I have always been adverse to refrezing meat items. Will give that a shot, we have plenty of freezer space, just was thinking it would be nice to have everything canned and out of the way.

Thanks!