• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasteurizing Eggs Sous Vide

shar999

Since 1960, the date of that study, new strains of Salmonella have been isolated. In particular the Newport strain in 2003 and which was the culprit in a salmonella outbreak from cantaloupes where chicken manure had been used by a large grower.  This strain is resistant to antibiotics and can affect animals as well as humans.

Long after I stopped catering, I continued to get the bulletins from the L.A. County Health Dept. and there was info from the Journal of Microbiology in one. I know there are several variants of the Newport strain, they mutate the same as every other bacterium and virus.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, thatothercook said:

But we can have fun all day arguing about the temperature!  I do 55C, 131F myself.

On the subject, I was wondering earlier today how long pasteurized eggs can be kept.  But the store had no decent looking broccolini so the point was moot.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 years later...

So...I've pausterized 5 super fresh eggs at 55C for 2 hours to use egg whites in a dessert where they won't be thoroughly cooked (hot syrup added). As I've started cracking them - the egg white is very cloudy and the yolk is somewhat gel like (when broken will run, but much thicker than a regular one). After reading through this whole topic, I'm questioning (1) How well the egg white will whip and hold it's shape, (2) are the egg whites truly pasteurized and safe. 

I guess, to be truly safe, I'll use dried egg whites, but that is no fun because (a) I couldn't find organic ones, (b) I can still taste them in the final product even with vanilla((, (c) I forgot how much liquid I was adding to them that worked perfectly (as websites differ slightly in their recommendations).

Edited by SweetSymphonybyM (log)

well,,try and whip those whites.

add tartar etc as you might do with raw.

you will have your answer right there.

off the top of my head , I can't say the minimum time @ 130.1 for full pasteurization.

that's close to 55 C for you.

1 hour ago, SweetSymphonybyM said:

So...I've pausterized 5 super fresh eggs at 55C for 2 hours to use egg whites in a dessert where they won't be thoroughly cooked (hot syrup added). As I've started cracking them - the egg white is very cloudy and the yolk is somewhat gel like (when broken will run, but much thicker than a regular one). After reading through this whole topic, I'm questioning (1) How well the egg white will whip and hold it's shape, (2) are the egg whites truly pasteurized and safe. 

I guess, to be truly safe, I'll use dried egg whites, but that is no fun because (a) I couldn't find organic ones, (b) I can still taste them in the final product even with vanilla((, (c) I forgot how much liquid I was adding to them that worked perfectly (as websites differ slightly in their recommendations).

Is it possible your eggs went over 55C?

I sous vide them with Breville Hydro Pro as its first run. It is cooking something again right now - checked the temp with two different thermometers, and it is within .5C of the temp on display. And it has a pre-set for pasteurizing eggs, so it is unlikely that I've entered the temp wrong. 

My dried egg whites didn't whip for some reason (2 teaspoons dried egg white to 2 tablespoons very warm passion fruit juice), so I used these pasteurized eggs and am now freaking out a bit...but I continue eating the dessert, so it appears my addiction to sugar is greater than my fear of food poisoning((

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SweetSymphonybyM said:

Could the problem have been putting them in the water while sous vide was preheating? (~15 minutes)

Probably not.

• Like 1