• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I haven't read through this entire thread because some seem repetitive.

I have an electric pasteurizer that I used for batches of 3 to 5 dozen eggs when I was catering because of requests for salad dressings made with raw eggs, French style (soft) omelets, etc.

And for requests for eggnog for holiday parties.

Now I do smaller batches, usually a dozen at a time, Large, for mayonnaise, other sauces, salad dressings, etc.  

Large eggs at room temperature  are  placed in room temp water and bring it to at least 140°F and no more than 143°F and once it reaches this temp (i use a high-low alarm thermometer for small batches the pasteurized is automatic)  set the timer for 4 minutes which gives you a full minute to remove the eggs from the water.  

I "sacrifice" one egg with a probe thermometer inserted into the yolk to make sure it reaches the CRITICAL TEMPERATURE of 138° F.  Any temp below this will not only not kill the salmonella but will promote growth.  According to the California Egg Board.

Immediately rinse the eggs in cool water, dry the surface thoroughly and refrigerate.  They should be used within 10 days.

Holding them at 130°F  for long periods - if the YOLKS NEVER REACH 138° is potentially promoting growth of salmonella.

I bought the pasteurizer in 1979 when I began my adventure into cheesemaking.  I could buy "certified" raw milk at the local dairy outlet, and would pasteurize it myself before making my cheeses.  

When I began the catering, the Health Department gave me stacks of bulletins, one of which involved EGGS.  And the LIABILITY of using raw eggs. I spoke to one of the inspectors who checked my kitchen and showed him the pasteurizer and he said that would be perfectly adequate for pasteurizing eggs as the settings for liquid dairy products and for eggs were virtually identical. 

I have been pasteurizing eggs on a regular basis since 1982 and I have never had a problem.   

andiesenji

andiesenji

I haven't read through this entire thread because some seem repetitive.

I have an electric pasteurizer that I used for batches of 3 to 5 dozen eggs when I was catering because of requests for salad dressings made with raw eggs, French style (soft) omelets, etc.

And for requests for eggnog for holiday parties.

Now I do smaller batches, usually a dozen at a time, Large, for mayonnaise, other sauces, salad dressings, etc.  

Large eggs at room temperature  are  placed in room temp water and bring it to at least 140°F and no more than 143°F and once it reaches this temp (i use a high-low alarm thermometer for small batches the pasteurized is automatic)  set the timer for 4 minutes which gives you a full minute to remove the eggs from the water.  

I "sacrifice" one egg with a probe thermometer inserted into the yolk to make sure it reaches the CRITICAL TEMPERATURE of 138° F.  Any temp below this will not only not kill the salmonella but will promote growth.  According to the California Egg Board.

Immediately rinse the eggs in cool water, dry the surface thoroughly and refrigerate.  They should be used within 10 days.

Holding them at 130°F  for long periods - if the YOLKS NEVER REACH 138° is potentially promoting growth of salmonella.