• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

here are some times and temps :

https://thatothercookingblog.com/2013/07/16/pasteurizing-eggs-or-mayo-at-home-sous-vide-134-6-f-for-2hr/

is it important to keep the yolks separate ? the only real advantage  is that is you only want to use one yolk and open the bag , in theory the remainder are no longer pasteurized.

PE.jpg.bd64397628adef0fc39657dd4dc4dd2c.jpg

Thank you Rotuts. I have a lot of yolks left over at work from one of my cakes. Finally I am coming out with a new product where I can use yolks and in decent quantities, so to eliminate waist. I am looking for the less painful  and economical way to pasteurize the yolk to use in a product that doesn't require cooking. So, my main objective is pasteurization. I am afraid though, for what I read on line, that I will need a permit to use sous vide, even if by just water displacement. I am going to ask on the pastry forum. Thanks! 

Franci

Franci

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

here are some times and temps :

https://thatothercookingblog.com/2013/07/16/pasteurizing-eggs-or-mayo-at-home-sous-vide-134-6-f-for-2hr/

is it important to keep the yolks separate ? the only real advantage  is that is you only want to use one yolk and open the bag , in theory the remainder are no longer pasteurized.

PE.jpg.bd64397628adef0fc39657dd4dc4dd2c.jpg

Thank you Rotuts. I have a lot of yolks left over at work from one of my cakes. Finally I am coming out with a new product where I can use yolks and in decent quantities, so to eliminate waist. I am looking for the less painless and economical way to pasteurize the yolk to use in a product that doesn't require cooking. So, my main objective is pasteurization. I am afraid though, for what I read on line, that I will need a permit to use sous vide, even if by just water displacement. I am going to ask on the pastry forum. Thanks!