• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do I have the right foamer?

bonkboo

I just bought a iSi half pint easy whip from bed bath. They are no longer carrying them. I can't imagine I'll have trouble locating proper cartridge replacements. I'm assuming they are just standard. But a different one on the WS website says NOT to use hot liquids. Can I use this to make lots of different types of foams? Or do I need something different?

The cartridges are standard - so that won't be a problem.

It seems that for hot stuff ISI makes the Thermowhip - a tad more expensive than the easy whips.

I have a Thermowhip, and its particular attraction is that it has a double-walled stainless-steel vacuum bottle, so it will hold the temperature of whatever is in it, hot or cold.

I haven't checked recently, but they also made one with a regular single-walled stainless bottle that could be used hot or cold, but you can keep the contents warm by putting the whipper in a bain marie (or put it in an ice bucket to stay cold).

There are advantages to both kinds. If you're going to make a warm foam and you want to use part of the contents, chill it for storage overnight, and warm it up again later, that's easier to do with the one with the regular bottle. If you are making a cold foam (where you might chill it between uses, but it wouldn't matter), or a warm foam where you will use the entire contents, and you want to be able to make it and have it hold the temperature for several hours, then the Thermowhip is better.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)