• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silicone Lids for Microwave and Oven

andiesenji

While there are other ways of covering dishes in the microwave or baking dishes in the oven - plastic wrap for the former and aluminum foil for the latter, there are times when speed is of the essence and if one is doing repetitive heating, placing and removing plastic wrap can be a chore.

So I use silicone lids. I have different types, some can be used in a regular oven (below recommended temps) as well as the microwave and some do well in the fridge as well, as long as you don't need a super-tight seal.

This is a photo of the basic types I use. I have a few more of the opaque Leque or MIU lids but this shows a selection of sizes and shapes.

The rectangular one covers a 9 x 13 baking dish, made by Lekue, I have used it in the oven to cover 2 or 3 loaf pans when baking meat loaf.

Silicone lids 1.JPG

While I purchased most of mine from other vendors, Amazon now has them but some are sold by vendors.

My favorites are the "LilyPad" lids because they have a "knob" that is easier to hold and they are also more "clingy" than the others. I can lift a heavy Pyrex baking dish by the knob.

Silicone lids 9.JPG

This does not work with the other types.

They are also translucent, which makes it easier to see what is happening if microwaving something in an opaque container.

They can be used in the oven and will cling to stainless steel and for storage in the fridge, will also cling to plastic and melamine - something plastic wrap will not do.

They clean up perfectly in the dishwasher.

If anyone knows of another type that might work as well or better, I would be interested.

I also have a bunch of the "Coverflex" in several sizes but for me they are awkward to use, especially when trying to replace them on a hot dish.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Very interesting post. I can't recall ever seeing any silicone lids in a kitchen store, but will look for them.

My one simple use for such an item is when making quick lollipops in the microwave. Instead of the on again - off again plastic wrap, I started to use a sort of knobby silicone square trivety thing. Just looks like a blue silicone square with knobs up and down. Works perfectly and so much less trouble.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Very interesting post. I can't recall ever seeing any silicone lids in a kitchen store, but will look for them.

My one simple use for such an item is when making quick lollipops in the microwave. Instead of the on again - off again plastic wrap, I started to use a sort of knobby silicone square trivety thing. Just looks like a blue silicone square with knobs up and down. Works perfectly and so much less trouble.

I've had any number of dome-type covers, spatter covers for the microwave but they are always a bit bulky, even the collapsible ones, (and some are not dishwaster-proof, I have created some free-form sculptures of some).

These, however, are easy to store. After they have been washed and dried, they go into a jumbo Hefty (2 1/2 gallon) zip-type bag and are hung where I can easily find them and they stay clean and don't clutter up a drawer.

These are usually on one end of this rack but I've moved the hook to the front to take the photo.

Silicone lids 11.JPG

I've got some "bumpy" trivets - like this 11 5/8 inch square one - also have some smaller ones. Only used as trivets or to keep things from sliding on granite or marble counters.

I also gave some to a friend who has a glass stovetop to cover the hot burners after the power has been turned off - the top takes quite a while to cool to a safe temp. These have saved her some burns.

Silicone trivet.JPG

I got many of my Lekue lids when one of the "cooks tools" websites first offered the Lekue bakeware and molds - I bought several and added the lids so the purchase would be enough for free shipping.

That was prior to Amazon listing any of this type of baking molds so some time ago.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett