• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Fuss Pot

I want to take Fahro for a splendid 20th anniversary meal on Jan 7th. The criteria are as follows.

The restaurant must be open on that day- rules out Le Gavroche, Aubergeine, La Tante Claire.

It must be able to start feeding us between 7.45 and 9pm- rules out GR@RHR

It must have an a la carte (as opposed to prixe fixe) menu- rules out The Square, Foliage

It must allow BYO (with corkage,natch)-rules out Bonds, Foliage, Petrus.

It must have at least a bit of a buzzy atmosphere-rules out The Capital

It must be reasonably central-rules out Putney Bridge.

At the moment it looks like the pub. Any suggestions?

Not a bad idea. As I get all my best ideas from here anyway it's not too much of a stretch to nick this one too. Ate at the orrery 10 days ago, after Glavin had departed and I have to say it was bloody good. Pork belly and scallop dish was a particular fave. you must know how much it hurts to say this about any conran gaff but, hey, it's the truth. if you can stomach the corkage charge.

Rhodes might be a good bet before it goes; I hear sodexho are pulling the plug on his opertaions.

Jay

On GR@RHR I wouldn't be so sure you can't get 7:45 or 9:00 - I've gotten 8:30/9:00 before there no problem. After all times are probably staggered - if everyone sat down at 6:30 and 9:30 it would be unworkable as the kitchen would get swamped by the orders.

Bookings should still be do-able given you're looking for probably the deadest time of the year - I've got in with a week's notice in early Jan.

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Tony -- Based on two lunches there more than a year ago, Orrery is not at the level of the restaurants you were contemplating. It is a T Conran facility, I believe. It has acceptable prix fixe lunches (at least on one day of the weekend), but that is the limit of what I would subjectively recommend there (unless the dinner cuisine quality is markedly better than that at lunch). :hmmm:

Jon, I've tried them already. They can't/won't seat us before 10pm on that day.

Rats. There goes my idea of quiet-period sneak-attack ;-) (though to be fair I say I'm going to do this every Jan/Aug but never get round to it)

Have you thought of 1837 at Browns - they do both a la carte and the 7/8/9 &tc course tasting menus.

Had a very enjoyable meal there in Nov - eight courses for forty-two quid a steal

Atmosphere is olde hotel so not exactly buzzing - but comfortable in a clubby sort of way

Other randoms at the high end of the scale: Locatelli, Nobu, Mju (they do actually have a la carte, as well as tasting), Pied a Terre

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

It must be able to start feeding us between 7.45 and 9pm- rules out GR@RHR ... It must allow BYO (with corkage,natch)-rules out Bonds, Foliage, Petrus.

I'm doubtful RHR allows BYO, although I have never inquired. Even if RHR technically permitted BYO, it would be very rare for diners to BYO. :hmmm: Surely if, consistent with the title of the thread, it is a gourmet meal that is being sought, some of the restrictions described could be relaxed. For example, why is the requirement for a la carte included, when many potentially qualifying restaurants offer considerable choice in their non-a-la-carte menu (e.g., is The Square prix fixe, I forget)?

Edited by cabrales (log)

Even if RHR technically permitted BYO, it would be very rare for diners to BYO.

Why would that be? The chap at The Square was very encouraging about BYO and exhorted me to bring my wines in a couple of days before so the could be properly "prepared". If you want to drink some really fine wines with a special meal it saves you loads.

I thinkit just doesn't occur to people to ask. If more of us did restaurants would have to start considering it.

Cabrales,have you reported on The Square anywhere?

No, but it's a restaurant I have visited many times during the past two years. For me, it's the best restaurant in London open on Sunday evenings.

The Square can offer by-the-glass pairings of wine, at least with its (longer) tasting menu.

Edited by cabrales (log)