• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat dinner in Birmingham AL ?

Kouign Aman

One night (Monday, ack), one meal. Where?

Also, any recommendations for a meal at the airport on Tuesday night?

Or hold out for the Atlanta airport? and if so, where there?

My coworker has suggested these places for dinner Monday - any opinions?

Vino

WineLoft

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Highlands Bar and Grill and Hot and Hot Fish Club are probably the two best restaurants in Bham. Unfortunately for you they are both closed on Mondays.

If you want upscale, I'd recommend Bottega, which is good, but not great.

If you're wanting BBQ, there is always Jim n' Nicks (it's a chain, but they're reliably good), or my personal favorite, the Golden Rule off Hwy 31 in Hoover (and only this location).

On the lower end of things, one of my favorite restaurants in Bham when I lived there was Crazy Cajun's on the south side.

The Garage is a cool place to have a beer, but no food.

As for the airport, it is an absolute wasteland.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to flight changes, we missed Vino.

Not dinner, but lunch the next day came from the very competent Newk's.

We especially enjoyed the lobster soup & the Pimiento Cheese sandwich (housemade pimiento cheese)which was hot, melty, tangy, had ripe tomato slices hidden inside and excellently chewy bread. The Black and Blue salad, and the Shrimp Etouffee salad served nicely - if not rave-worthy, certainly no complaints.

2011-01-31 Newk\2011-01-31 newk\2011-01-31 Resto name.jpg

We were interested in Moe's in light of the 'microwaves ruin everything' video going around but our hours and theirs didnt line up.Moe\

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.