• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Chuck Steak Sour Flavor

FourMat

Hi Folks,

I have been using the sous vide technique for about 2 years and I have consistently had an issue with cooking chuck steak/roast. A few days ago I cooked a 3 lb chuck roast, 135F for 48 hours, rubbed with dry rub reminiscent of one used for smoking (salt, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and small amount of brown sugar). I ended up with a beautifully tender piece of meat that rivals prime rib, but the resulting flavor profile is distinctly sour. It doesn't seem to matter how the beef is spiced, it always seems to come out this way. The interior of the meat has a decent beefy flavor, but the liquid is very "tart". Has anyone else run across this issue? Is this just a super concentrated intense beef essence?

I'm not calling it a "problem" per se, but I don't feel that I can use the runoff liquid as au jus because the flavor is so strong, and I'm at a loss as to what else to do with it because a reduction would only intensify it. Can anyone recommend a possibly solution? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am using a my own home brew version originally posted on the original Seattle Food Geek DIY Sous Vide construction. This is my second refined build which uses a PT100 temp probe accurate to 0.1 degrees. I have calibrated the probe and have a high confidence level that it is running accurately. (verified with known temp probes).

as I understand it: you are using the above rub. The inner meat tastes different/better than the exterior.

If this is the case, its probably the rub.

i do SV chuck all the time. and turkey. I use this:

http://www.cfsauer.com/products.asp?id=24

Prime Rib & Roast Seasoning, RUB (00575) (3.5 oz. jar)

$1.40

Now 50% Off!

Reg. $2.80

its my favorite rub for "Roast Beef" taste. oddly do to the rosemary and sage, its outstanding on both white meat and dark meat Turks.

change you rub and try again?

it might be the paprika. if not really 'fresh' I can see that at 48 hrs becoming somewhat sour.

Edited by rotuts (log)

If you're getting a sour flavor, that suggests that you are growing some kind of bacteria in the bag that produces acid. This could be from the spices or it could be from the surface of the meat. Why don't you try thoroughly searing the outside of the meat before bagging it, and don't use any spices. Then cook as normal and see whether you still get the same result. If you don't have the sourness after doing this, that tells you something.

--

If you're getting a sour flavor, that suggests that you are growing some kind of bacteria in the bag that produces acid. This could be from the spices or it could be from the surface of the meat. Why don't you try thoroughly searing the outside of the meat before bagging it, and don't use any spices. Then cook as normal and see whether you still get the same result. If you don't have the sourness after doing this, that tells you something.

I agree. Another thing to watch for is gas in the bag, which is a sign that bacteria is present. There should be nothing but solid and liquid in the bag, even after long cooking. If there is a bubble of gas at the top of the bag, you'd be well advised not to eat the contents.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I agree. Another thing to watch for is gas in the bag, which is a sign that bacteria is present. There should be nothing but solid and liquid in the bag, even after long cooking. If there is a bubble of gas at the top of the bag, you'd be well advised not to eat the contents.

Not to nitpick, but don't some longer cooks, at higher SV temps like 70+ sometimes result in phase change puffing up the bag a little? My briskets almost always have a small bubble in the corner of the bag after 24 hours, but there are no off flavors or odors (of course, I keep the bags weighed down so they remain fully submerged).

Edited by GlowingGhoul (log)

Ive had small bubbles sometimes. Im fairly sure they were there from the beginning --- sometimes a small amount of air gets trapped in the lower corner area when the meat fills the bag side to side. I try to 'massage' it out before the seal but this does not always seem possible.

flavor and opening aroma's were always fine. this is only a small bubble.

Well, admittedly I do tend to use paprika a lot on my red meats so that might be the common thread throughout. Next time I will just use plain salt/pepper. I'm still getting used to accounting for a flavor difference in various foods and spices when used sous vide (ie raw garlic)

There wasn't a gas bubble in the bag, and I have it restrained to keep it submerged. The only time I've experienced a gas bubble was when heating to 170F+. I'm pretty conscious of the safety considerations with sous vide, so I don't beleive it was a bacterial issue.

I have done a lot of other dishes, from fish to poultry to sausages to veggies, and I'm a huge believer in the technique. My god, the thanksgiving turkey was incredible.

I have read a lot about but haven't actually searing pre-bagging. I was under the impression that the camelization flavors ended up being negated during the long cooking process. Has anyone else had success with this? I have been searing post sous vide to varying degrees of success, but have never really had an end product that had the depth of flavor that grilling alone produces.

Not to nitpick, but don't some longer cooks, at higher SV temps like 70+ sometimes result in phase change puffing up the bag a little? My briskets almost always have a small bubble in the corner of the bag after 24 hours, but there are no off flavors or odors (of course, I keep the bags weighed down so they remain fully submerged).

If it's quite small, I guess it's probably OK. But it's one more warning sign. Certainly in combination with an odor, I would not eat it.

[Edited typo.]

Edited by vengroff (log)

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I think it may be as vengroff says. Once I cooked a a roast that went bad (smell, puffed bag.....). The suggestion I had was to dunk the meat in boiling water for a minute or two to kill any surface pathogens. Since the interior is sterile all you need do is get the ones on the outside. If I have any concern, that is what I do now. Since the rub or spices will diffuse in the cooking liquid excreted by the meat, I don't rub them in, since your hands or board might be a source for bacteria.

• Similar Content

• By Anonymous Modernist 16589
      I'm looking to buy some new pots and pans and would like to tap into your knowledege and experiance with them. Which pans tend to yield the best and most consistant results. Same for pots. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appriciated, thank you in advance.
      Herman 8D
    • By Doodad
      Has anybody tried making a dark roux in a pressure cooker? Can this be done without scortching do you think? I have made roux in the oven before and started wondering about this topic.
    • By kostbill
      I really want to improve the flavor of my chicken breast so I want to try to inject brine with fat and flavors.

I would like to try brining with some hydrocolloids. The one example I found is this: https://torontofoodlab.com/2013/08/20/meat-tenderizing-with-a-carrageenan-brine/.

However I cannot apply that to my chicken breast because I am cooking it sous vide, so the chicken will not reach the temperature needed for the carrageenan to gel.

I am thinking of using Methyl cellulose, first disperse in hot water, then leave it for 24 hours in the fridge, then add salt, fat and flavors and inject it.
      I am afraid that until it reaches the 50C or 60C that the Methyl cellulose needs in order to gel, the liquid will escape.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.
    • By Anonymous Modernist 760
      Thanks for putting up this forum 🙂
      I would like to bake using a combination of sous vide and a conventional oven. Would it be possible to put the dough in a vacuum bag cook it sous vide at 37C for the dough to raise optimal and then put it in a conventional oven?
      Thanks
    • By PedroG
      Olla podrida sous vide
      Origin
      Not rotten pot, but mighty or rich pot! Originated in 16th century Spain, olla poderida became olla podrida and was falsely translated into French as pot-pourri.
      Ingredients
      For two servings
      * 100g Brisket well marbled, cooked SV 48h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Pork meat well marbled, cooked SV 24h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Lamb chops without bone, cooked SV 4h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chicken breast, cooked SV 2h/58°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chorizo, sliced approximately 4mm †
      * 125g Chickpeas (garbanzos), soaked overnight in water †
      * 1 Onion chopped medium-fine †
      * ½ Savoy cabbage approx. 200g cut into pieces, thick leaf veins removed
      * ½ Celeriac approx. 200g quartered, sliced about 2mm
      * 2 Carrots sliced approximately 120g about 3mm
      * 1 Leek approximately 20cm / 100g sliced about 5mm
      * Extra virgin olive oil
      * Rice bran oil
      * Dried parsley qs, aromatic, black pepper
      † Beef, pork, lamb and chicken (or at least two kinds of meat) as well as chorizo, chickpeas and onions are mandatory ingredients, other vegetables vary according to desire and availability.
      Cooking
      Boil chickpeas in water for 30-60 min.
      Sauté onions in olive oil, add chorizo, continue sautéing, add chickpeas including its cooking water, add remaining vegetables, cover and cook to the desired softness, stir from time to time. If additional liquid is needed, you may add Sherry instead of water.
      Reduce heat. Season to taste. Add parsley.
      In a heavy skillet, sear the meat dice in just smoking hot rice bran oil (very high smoking point allows very quick sear, not overdoing the center of the meat).
      Sear one kind of meat at a time and transfer to the pan with the vegetables.