• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crock Pot Cooking?

Paul Bacino

I'm cooking a Chuck roast in the crock pot. Curious? Co you put your Potato/Carrot/Onion/Cabbage/Mushroom and what ever-- On top of the roast or bottom( under)?

If I Do under the roast, it never touches the cooking liquid.

What else do you add too?

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Wine and thyme, bay leaf. I put a few veggies under, then the meat, then the rest on top. I'll usually give it a stir if I can ever few hours and flip the on-top ones to the bottom so that everything gets an equal chance at the cooking juices.

Do you brown the meat first, then deglaze the pan and use that as part of the cooking juice? That really seems to step up the flavor for me.

Yep I Brown my roast.. Forgot the Thyme and Bay Idea!!

I just went home for lunch. I started the roast on top of mushrooms and Potatos, then the roast followed by carrots and Cabbage. I took your advice then stirred things around and Put the top on the bottom.

Its good to have Morels

Sylvia..

I really didn't get a chance to eat it, I made it for my wife and son!! I think I missed the ticket by not adding in a spot of wine and the fresh herb.

I browned the pc with Kitchen Bouquet ,and added garlic powder after this I salted and into a home-made beef stock. Fresh Bella Mushrooms and Dried Oyster were under the roast first ( approx 4 hrs ), carrots and potato started on top. Crock is on low. I come home for lunch and put everything under the roast into the liquid, added cabbage. This cooked another 5 hrs.

It was far apart un interesting to me , I just think the beef is under seasoned. But the braised veg, especially the Cabbage was killer.

Thanks for the herb tips.

Paul

Its good to have Morels

It seems more logical to put some veg on the bottom, but I try to get the majority of the meat's surface in contact w/ the pot (& I don't use much added liquid, preferring fatty cuts, like chuck or chicken thighs), so my vegetables go on top, but eventually get stirred around....

Coincidentally, I made Beer Braised Short Ribs in the crockpot yesterday....WOW!!! they were good.

Short ribs, sliced onion, Newcastle Brown Ale, a little tomato paste, soy sauce, thyme, bay leaf,

pitted prunes and a little Minute Tapioca to thicken.