• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mold on kombu?

Hassouni

So I opened up a packet of kombu today, and I saw whitish blobs that look sort of like mold, but I'm not sure. They are separate from the white powder that I take is concentrated glutamates. Is this normal? I've never noticed it before.

Can you post a pic? As you clearly know, kombu can get sort of a whiteish build up that is completely normal, but it's hard to say without seeing and it sounds like you are pretty sure it is something else. How old is the packet? I have had packets of kombu in the cupboard, open, for over 2 years and never had any mould grow on it. By the way, it sat in the cupboard because I forgot I had it and it got lost under clutter, it's not something I would intentionally do!

Don't you love how I confidently told you to post a pic and now that you've done so my response is....er...I don't know! I suppose it does look a little strange but then kombu already looks a bit weird so honestly I think if I had kombu like this I might perhaps just break off anything that looked really suspect and then use the rest anyway... :unsure:

Edited by Jenni (log)

probably just some disease on the konbu when it was growing. nothing to worry about. High grade konbu will have no marks or blemishes on it and be a uniform width. I personally buy the type that has holes in it due to being bitten by sea urchins. I like thinking that the sea urchins know which konbu is best :smile: