• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse: 2012–

pastrygirl

One would almost definitely get a better result that way but then one wouldn't be making a piecaken. One would just be making a layer cake with a crispy component. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing the piecaken is a perfect thing (maybe not even a good thing, I haven't tried it). But making something that's not at all similar to the item isn't improving that item, it's making something else... which may very well be the better option in some cases.

Interesting point.

You may however get a better result by just baking cake batter inside a pie crust.  Crispy crust, moist warm cake- sounds a lot more appetizing than the "traditional" piecaken.

• Like 1

I think the main attraction of the original is that it theoretically gives you three types of pie plus three types of cake in one serving. The catch here is that the different desserts all suffer from the treatment. Why not just have small slices of a variety of well-made desserts on a plate, not touching each other? This way, each item can be perfect.

• Like 4

O.M.G.

"Everybody Panic: Peeps-Flavored Milk Is Here"

"...the milk...comes in three flavors: Marshmallow Milk, Chocolate Marshmallow Milk, and Easter Egg Nog."

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

sugar in the above :  "  37 grams per cup "

about the same as 12 oz of CocaCola.

wouldnt want anyone to get hypoglycemic  would we ?

BTW remember a cup is 8 oz, not 12.

4 grams is equal to one teaspoon so 37 grams would be just over 9 teaspoons of sugar per cup. :shock:  :blink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Peeps-flavored milk? The end must sure be close at hand. Now to go treat the nausea that just thinking about Peeps-flavored milk has induced.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I was about to post Peeps milk too. Here is the link so you can see it in its full technicolor glory:

http://www.prairiefarms.com/seasonal_favorites.aspx

Prairie Farms markets itself as farmer owned, etc. etc., but their products look like pure processed food. Their line is full of low-fat and non-fat products--but a cup of their 1% fat strawberry milk has more calories in it than a cup of whole milk. I sent a note to them on Monday asking for a nutritional profile on the Peeps series, but haven't heard a peep from them yet--three days later.

• 2 months later...

Goodness, it is a surprise to me!

Apparently, I have overestimated the average intelligence of Americans.

To find this article in the Washington Post (one of my favorite crossword sites) and a venerated publication, instead of a tabloid, really erodes my faith in humanity further than it already was.

It looks like we'll never get GMO labeling now, which many of us, including me, want. The agribusiness lobbies are already so powerful, and this is all the fuel they need to demonstrate how stupid we voters are. 

> ^ . . ^ <

The "average" American voter is ill informed, does not pay attention to most scientific articles and responds to a few emotional catchphrases that are INTENDED to incite irrational response.

The media has been manipulated for decades, this is nothing new and should not surprise anyone who PAYS ATTENTION.

Remember the furor decades ago when a hoax newspaper article purported to have discovered the release of "dihydrogen monoxide" into the water delivery systems of several cities and listed the possible effects on humans and animals?  I think it was an April Fool joke and was published when I still lived in the San Fernando Valley (well before internet access).

People took it seriously and phones at various municipality offices were overloaded with people demaning answers.

It was subsequently used in multiple theses of graduate students studying the behavior of gullible, scientifically ignorant citizens. 

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

Maybe not quite apocalyptic, but definitely a WHY?? for me - Vita Coco Cafe Latte, espresso + coconut water + milk.  Ingredients:  coconut water, whole milk, skim milk. espresso, sugar, natural flavor, carageenan.  It also comes in mocha.  I like coconut, I like coffee, and it doesn't actually taste bad (you can't really taste the coconut).  Just, why?  Coconut water has become super popular as nature's own hydrating electrolyte replenisher, doesn't adding milk, sugar, and caffeine kind of negate that?  Huh. :huh:

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Oh it is all the rage now at Starbucks - pay a premium for organic coconut milk in any coffee drink...

I could see it as a non-dairy option if it was only coconut water/milk, but coconut water plus whole and skim milk?  I mean, I grabbed an extra because they were free samples, but I can't imagine actually buying it.  If I want coffee, I'll get coffee.  If I want a refreshing coconut beverage, I'll get coconut water.  I'm not sure what need the combo is supposed to meet.

• Like 2