• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse: 2012–

pastrygirl

Marabou chocolate flavoured Philadelphia cream cheese: http://www.philadelp...a1&PagecRef=798.

The caption says, 'Let yourself be surprised'.

Saw a billboard for this last night, coming home from a dinner party; I didn't feel surprised, I felt 'Holy-hell-I'm-much-drunker-than-I-thought', so I had to look it up today, to see whether it actually existed outside my red-wine-inflamed mind.

It does.

Is this a thing anywhere else, or are the Philadelphia people just pranking Denmark?

Chocolate cream cheese is tasty stuff...haven't you ever had chocolate cheesecake? Sub a slice of toast for the crust, smear it with chocolate Philly and you have yourself a cheesecake breakfast! Probably healthier than Nutella. :smile:

I happen to know that the good people of Denmark are able to purchase individually wrapped chocolate slices (like a cheese slice) to place on their bread...and I am eternally envious.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Chocolate cream cheese is tasty stuff...haven't you ever had chocolate cheesecake? Sub a slice of toast for the crust, smear it with chocolate Philly and you have yourself a cheesecake breakfast! Probably healthier than Nutella. :smile:

I did once find myself in a situation where courtesy demanded that I eat chocolate cheesecake. It was a horrific and nauseating experience (because I don't care for cheese, and admittedly find the entire concept of cheese in sweets appalling). I'm clearly the wrong person to ask about this.

I happen to know that the good people of Denmark are able to purchase individually wrapped chocolate slices (like a cheese slice) to place on their bread...and I am eternally envious.

Yep, that's brilliant stuff (it's not individually wrapped, by the way, but in packets). I once tried some with licorice in it, at Keflavik airport, I believe, and that wasn't so great, although the fact that I like both licorice and chocolate kept it from being a true End Times experience for me.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 3 months later...

Scooping ketchup.

For when salsa just isn't sweet enough? Why would you need to scoop your ketchup? Are they intending it as a dip, or for easier measuring? Scooping mayonnaise also available.

http://sirkensingtons.com/theproducts.html

I think -- not sure, mind you, but think -- it's "scooping" because they're too old-fashioned and veddy veddy British, don't you know, to have anything as vulgar as a squeeze bottle. So you "scoop" the hand-made real recipe old-fashioned ketchup with a knife or spoon from an old-fashioned wide-mouthed bottle. The ketchup actually sounds interesting to try but the website is so annoying (you have to click way too many times to get information and the clickable headers are vague) that I kind of gave up.

This was being sampled at my local grocery store recently: http://www.dcicheeseco.com/great-midwest/mango-fire-cheddar

So very wrong. I scoured the store for a sample of something else to get the taste out of my mouth. <shudder>

I'd say that when the two awards a cheese has received are for... package design, it's a distinct red flag (yeah, I know, old post, but I clicked on the link in it for the first time and, well, let's just say this is even better than I'd hoped for :wink: ).

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Donuts as sandwich bread. Witness:

Dunkin' Donuts Glazed Donut breakfast sandwich: fried egg and bacon between a sliced glazed donut

the Bronut: a burger patty and fried egg between a maple bacon glazed doughnut

Currently it seems like a local problem. Here's hoping that it isn't contagious.

It's definitely made it to Austin

From a local Burger place menu

That's a 1/2 lb of beef, fried egg, jalapeno jack cheese, bacon and fried egg between two halves of a Krispy Kreme

My local Giant Mkt coated a Croissant with Donut Glaze and called it a Croissant Donut

LOL

Are you sure it wasnt fried?

Cronuts and "fauxnuts" are all the rage right now.

:::sheepishly:::

Ill tell ya later when I taste it...

Want a pic too?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Want a pic too?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Let us know. People are going nuts for them. Im going to make a few next time my mom comes to town as I always make her croissants from scratch when she visits, frying up a few cronuts won't require much extra effort.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145103-cronuts-worth-the-hype/

Edited by Twyst (log)

Want a pic too?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Let us know. People are lining up for hours to get them in manhattan and they are selling on the "black market" for $40 per

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145103-cronuts-worth-the-hype/

http://i.imgur.com/exOOrDD.jpg

It might have been fried, I just couldnt tell, it just tasted like a typical (non butter, all margareeene [sic]) supermarket croissant dipped in donut glaze.. Nothing spayshul...lol

Wouldnt get it again

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Bacon Cheese Burgers on a pair of KrispyKreams has been fair food for a couple of years now. I tried one at the South Carolina State Fair three years ago. Interesting but.... Would of been better with a real burger patty rather than that frozen hockey puck.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

• 1 year later...

Coffee wine + chocolate chip cookie sparkling water = mocha wine cookie spritzer!!!

Since when is coffee a sweet flavor? Is this Starbucks' contribution to the culinary apocalypse? I'm not saying that not-sweet coffee flavored wine would be good, but maybe slightly less horrible sounding.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Why?  :huh:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Oh, that's too funny for words. I love the way the friend started getting customers to ask for the nonexistent gummy bear brats until the butcher called his bluff. I'm not a Gummi Bear fan, but I can imagine this giving a sweet-and-sour or sweet-and-spicy combination that could be nice. Even the butcher thinks it's weird - but hey, if it's a hit, good for him.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown