• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse: 2012–

pastrygirl

I know this says "2012" on the title but I just had to "bump it up" with this gem:  

Hold the Meat: White Castle Introduces New Veggie Slider

Full article here:  http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/hold-meat-white-castle-introduces-new-veggie-slider-n277261

• Like 2

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

• 1 month later...

I am   checking  youtube for  cake ideas since I might be making a wedding cake next year for two of my  lovely friends. ( YAY)

I found this and my brain went why??   

Then my brain went, could any one  try to make this cake or just two layers and tell me if it works?  Yeah  Curiosity will kill this Cat. ;)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Madness  but in a good way, maybe.

I have done   turducken  like thing,  Fantasy   poultry, it is   chicken, goose and  dove and the heads should be on and  peaking out like a multi headed animal, which we didnt do.

I am still curious but for me when it comes to this cake it too expensive to make.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I watched the entire video and I think I had an expression on my face which could be most easily described as 'yuck'.  :wacko:  But then taste is personal.  What can I say?  Not to mention as pastrygirl noted...entirely too much work.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I knew I remembered seeing this referred to as "piecaken" somewhere. Some of the variations on that blog sounded pretty tasty to me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I agree.  However, they looked fairly soggy before they were re-baked.  Also, what the hell is going on with the size of that cake?  It looks like it's got elephantitis.

Three layers of cake with a pie baked inside each layer kinda requires large as part of the equation. I'm sure one could scale it Euro-style so that all of the layers fit in a 6 cm ring... but that would eliminate the pure decadence that this embodies. I don't know if it's good or not but there's no denying it's unashamedly over the top. There's something about that I appreciate.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Three layers of cake with a pie baked inside each layer kinda requires large as part of the equation. I'm sure one could scale it Euro-style so that all of the layers fit in a 6 cm ring... but that would eliminate the pure decadence that this embodies. I don't know if it's good or not but there's no denying it's unashamedly over the top. There's something about that I appreciate.

I see your point.  However, if you're going to do decadence, then you should do it properly.

I'd suggest:

1. Mixing chocolates into marshmallows.
  2. Baking the marshmallows into cookies.
  3. Baking the cookies into pies.
  4. Baking the pies into cakes.
  5. Baking the cakes in puff pastry.
  6. Battering and deep-frying the mega-cake.
  7. Wrapping the fried mega-cake in marzipan.
  8. Covering the marzipan with fondant.
  9. Piping whipped cream on the fondant.
  10. Drizzle syrup on the cream.
  11. Bake the whole thing in another pie.
  12. Serve hot.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Kwanzaa cake just met its equal... I think Lisa Shock is right, soggy pie crusts... and I bet the cakes were pretty over cook too, because they look so hard when she was layering... and It wouldn't stay still with all that weight if it was soft and crumbly like a cake should... I'll pass :P

• Like 1

I see your point.  However, if you're going to do decadence, then you should do it properly.

I'd suggest:

1. Mixing chocolates into marshmallows.
  2. Baking the marshmallows into cookies.
  3. Baking the cookies into pies.
  4. Baking the pies into cakes.
  5. Baking the cakes in puff pastry.
  6. Battering and deep-frying the mega-cake.
  7. Wrapping the fried mega-cake in marzipan.
  8. Covering the marzipan with fondant.
  9. Piping whipped cream on the fondant.
  10. Drizzle syrup on the cream.
  11. Bake the whole thing in another pie.
  12. Serve hot.

Ah yes, the ol' "let's stretch this so far into the ridiculous that it makes the other person's point seem silly" approach. Always a good strategy.

I'm not claiming it should become the next big dessert trend. It's just kinda refreshing once in a while to see a dessert that isn't tiny, prissy and biased towards not being sweet. I wouldn't call this the best possible example of that but it certainly meets the criteria.

Ah yes, the ol' "let's stretch this so far into the ridiculous that it makes the other person's point seem silly" approach. Always a good strategy.

I'm not claiming it should become the next big dessert trend. It's just kinda refreshing once in a while to see a dessert that isn't tiny, prissy and biased towards not being sweet. I wouldn't call this the best possible example of that but it certainly meets the criteria.

I agree with you.

I was actually going for humour, rather than to disparage any particular style of cuisine.  To be honest, I prefer this style of dessert to those that mix in so many savoury elements you can't tell what course it is.

I agree with you.

I was actually going for humour, rather than to disparage any particular style of cuisine.  To be honest, I prefer this style of dessert to those that mix in so many savoury elements you can't tell what course it is.

And I of all people should have realized that. Being that I dabble in that form of humor on a regular basis... apologies for missing the joke.

I didn't actually think you were disparaging a type of cuisine though. I thought (wrongly as it turns out) you were arguing against the idea of excess just for the sake of excess.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

One minor point: I am disturbed by the fact they are serving unpeeled kiwi. (might just be me and a possible allergy, but, while I adore kiwi, the skin gives me a burning sensation -I have to wear gloves when handling them, even at home) Makes me wonder - if they aren't discerning enough to properly prep the fruit, what other shortcuts and ill-tasting ideas are they promoting?

• Like 2

I've made a piecaken! Two actually.

My sister-in-law knows I love making ridiculous food on occasions and she sent me a link to it from a blog she read.

I did an apple pie inside vanilla tea cake and a cherry pie inside a chocolate cake (a la blackforest).

Basically, it's as you guys predicted. The cakes were overcooked and the pie crust was soggy/indistinguishable texture-wise. The cherry one looked cool, with the dark cake and white pie crust, but the vanilla one you couldn't really even see. Some guests liked the taste of them (having a big layer of apples in the cake is nice, but achievable with the right apple cake recipe IMO) but the general consensus was that we'd rather eat a slice of pie and/or cake, only novelty is gained through the combining of the two :)

• Like 6

I suspect that one would get a better result by making regular cake layers, doing a crumb coat of buttercream icing, then layering cooked and cooled fruit compote(s) between the cake layers. Then doing a final buttercream icing, maybe topped with more compote, and placing a crispy on top, like the discs that are found in entremets, or, just a round of puff pastry decorated with flavored flat icing. This way, you get cake, delicious compote, and a really crispy topper. That said, since I am a lover of the crispies, I'd prefer it to be just one or two layers.

I suspect that one would get a better result by making regular cake layers, doing a crumb coat of buttercream icing, then layering cooked and cooled fruit compote(s) between the cake layers. Then doing a final buttercream icing, maybe topped with more compote, and placing a crispy on top, like the discs that are found in entremets, or, just a round of puff pastry decorated with flavored flat icing. This way, you get cake, delicious compote, and a really crispy topper. That said, since I am a lover of the crispies, I'd prefer it to be just one or two layers.

One would almost definitely get a better result that way but then one wouldn't be making a piecaken. One would just be making a layer cake with a crispy component. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing the piecaken is a perfect thing (maybe not even a good thing, I haven't tried it). But making something that's not at all similar to the item isn't improving that item, it's making something else... which may very well be the better option in some cases.

• Like 2