• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse: 2012–

pastrygirl

Apparently in an effort to hasten the End of Days, Coors' will be debuting iced tea flavoured beer in April. If you find this depressing, Cupcake vodka (mentioned in this same article), is there to help you kill enough brain cells to enable you to forget that people have evidently lost track of the fact that booze is for grownups.

Our local liquor store was featuring Cupcake Vodka, Vanilla Vodka, and some other "cake-flavored" vodkas the other day. When I made some comment about gag-inducing, the clerk said "oh no, they're fabulous, lots of fun at parties and they really do taste like cake!" Oy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SPAM for the Mall Ninja set: Tactical Bacon. Only $16.95 for a 9 oz can!

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In my local Pavilions market, which is the upscale branch of the Safeway chain in SoCal.....

Guy Fieri sausages and frozen pizzas. With Guy's face plastered all over the packaging, which would certainly kill any appetite I had to start with.

One of which (the pizzas) was a dessert pizza touted as a "S'mores Pizza" with a graham cracker crust, chocolate sauce and marshmallow topping. I can only shudder to think how the marshmallow (which are pretty gross to begin with IMHO) stands up to freezing.

The sausages all had some inane name like "Howdy Doody Andouille" and "Slamma Jamma Chili Bamma" or some such thing. I exaggerate on these, but only by a little.

Edit---that pesky spellling thing.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Marabou chocolate flavoured Philadelphia cream cheese: http://www.philadelp...a1&PagecRef=798.

The caption says, 'Let yourself be surprised'.

Saw a billboard for this last night, coming home from a dinner party; I didn't feel surprised, I felt 'Holy-hell-I'm-much-drunker-than-I-thought', so I had to look it up today, to see whether it actually existed outside my red-wine-inflamed mind.

It does.

Is this a thing anywhere else, or are the Philadelphia people just pranking Denmark?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 3 months later...

This is beyond bad.

It is a Chinese brand of those little triangles of spreadable gunk which are labelled as 'cheese' but which bear no resemblance to anything remotely close to anything I consider to be cheese.

For some reason, no doubt while rabidly drunk, the manufacturers of this atrocity have decided to up the stakes and now seem to think that what we really need is processed gunk with blueberries!

blueberry_cheese.jpg

I tried it out of a sense of duty. I've eaten all sorts. Give me the inner organs of fowls and beasts, give me barbecued cockroaches, give me camels' eyeballs. But get this muck out of my sight! I'd rather have botulism salad!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Cadbury non-melting chocolate:

http://www.latimes.c...oney & Company)

I know! What is the POINT of non-melting chocolate? I already hate most of the expensive 90% chocolate bars that are around because they are crisp and brittle and don't melt at body temperature, and they crunch when you bite them. Chocolate should not crunch, it should melt in a lovely bittersweet puddle of deliciousness. What is the world coming to?

How about the growing ... acceptance of products that are pitched as organic but are actually really disgusting? I mean, it might be organic and have magic woo power ... but if it doesn't taste anywhere near as nice as the evil version I'm not going to buy it.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

How about the growing ... acceptance of products that are pitched as organic but are actually really disgusting? I mean, it might be organic and have magic woo power ... but if it doesn't taste anywhere near as nice as the evil version I'm not going to buy it.

Example? I can't think what you're describing.

If you find this depressing, Cupcake vodka (mentioned in this same article), is there to help you kill enough brain cells to enable you to forget that people have evidently lost track of the fact that booze is for grownups.

Actual interaction between two friends:

"Dan, is that cupcake flavored vodka?"

"Yes."

"Do you know what goes well with cupcake-flavored vodka?"

"No?"

"Underage girls with daddy issues."

"Hmm."

(pause)

"I suppose it does."

Spotted at a trade show, frozen food section...Just in time for the holidays.

IMG_0150.JPG

I jumped the shark on posting without reading the whole thread.

Dan bought one of these for thanksgiving, and roasted it straight frozen.

I didn't try any. Years of working at Papa John's has apparently made him immune to food poisoning.

I wonder how many more references to the man will result of this thread?

Edited by jrshaul (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Will your next burger be ground-up mealworms?

The wriggly beetle larvae known as mealworms could one day dominate supermarket shelves as a more sustainable alternative to chicken, beef, pork and milk, researchers in the Netherlands say. Full srticle here... http://www.foxnews.c...d-up-mealworms/

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"