• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your favorite Take Out food?

nannipigg

We're lucky enough to have a plethora of excellent "ethnic" (and I use that word just because, correct or no, all y'all know what I mean) restaurants very nearby. Of course, we do the usual Asian (Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese) frequently. But there is a Middle-Eastern restaurant here that seems to be our favorite for take-out. We get shawarma, kabobs, tabuli, hummus, tziki, grape leaves, stewed lamb in tomato sauce, homemade pita bread, baklava - you name it. We order the whole spread. We love that place.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'll bet you'll find that "what's good" is a regional thing.

Here in Las Vegas, we have good Mexican takeaway. And with a bit of a drive to Chinatown, decent pan-Asian takeaway. (Not as good as San Diego or San Francisco, respectively, but still quite good.)

My wife and I get takeaway dim sum regularly, but we usually eat it there. Dim-sum is best right out of the steamer.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I used to order exclusively from the homestyle Italian restaurant down the street and get certain dishes they make well --

chicken soup, eggplant parmesean, a small plain pizza, chicken with lemon

Lately I've been keen for Thai and Indian delivered to the house, I've gotten very lazy.

Every time I order, I order something different and annotate the menu.

I suppose I have a completion disease but I've discovered some good stuff.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Another one for sushi.

Because there are more sushi joints than burger joints here (or so it seems). Most sushi places here are generally above average quality, given their low price point. Cheap, plentiful, fast. I don't need to be bothered to make my own sushi.

ETA: We do sushi takeout a few times a month, in addition to dining in. :smile:

Edited by Beebs (log)

Although I wind up bringing home leftovers pretty often I seldom do take-out per se. When I do it's for convenience - no time to cook or don't want to deal with the restaurant experience - and the most frequent pick-up meal would be a platillo from a carniceria. I turn to that for comfort food also.

Pizza from Stella Pizzeria in Philadelphia for multiple reasons: close (2 blocks away), fantastic pizza & quick (I can call in an order and by the time it takes me to amble over there the pizzas are coming out of the oven). We probably get takeout pizzas from them every 2-3 weeks. I do have to say that it is not the ideal way to eat their pizza as it does suffer a bit from being boxed, but the trip is so short that the damaged is minimal. Plus, the days I feel like take out are the days when I definitely do not want to stay in a restaurant to eat. I'd much rather relax in our apartment.