• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinach recipes that work with frozen and defrosted

Anne Benson

A recipe I like, c/o the Melbourne restaurant La Luna

Heat some extra virgin olive oil in a pan (low and slow) and add some diced garlic and chilli. Once the garlic takes on a little colour, add your spinach leaves. Keep stirring until the leaves are wilted. Season and you're done.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Frozen spinach is good for soup. I start with cooking some onion and garlic, then add stock, spinach and whatever seasoning I feel like. You can add bacon/sausage and the like and cook with the onion at the beginning. Sometimes I stir in an egg or two toward the end. Can add pasta as well.

Creamed spinach is another option. Make a bechamel sauce, stir in spinach, season, turn off heat and stir in cheese. The creamed spinach is a good filling for lasagna as well.

Edited by annachan (log)

This is from another site:

Spinach Balls

The Balls

16oz (1 lb.) frozen spinach leaves (doesn't matter if it's chopped or whole-leaf) -- food process into a powder while frozen

3 eggs

2 C. seasoned bread crumbs (I prefer the sage-seasoned ones, but use whatever tickles your fancy)

1 yellow onion - medium sized - chopped (medium-to-small chop)

1 C. Parmesan cheese (doesn't matter if it's the real stuff, or the powdered stuff)

1 stick melted butter

-- Mix all the above ingredients and form into 1" balls --- place into a greased baking dish (the recipe will require a couple baking dishes) -- do this while the spinach is still cold/frozen

-- Bake, uncovered, at 350 deg. F. for 15 min.

The Dip

Mix together equal parts yellow mustard and honey -- I usually do half a cup of each for the above recipe

{relish} - mix in -- optional (I like it)

Heat in microwave immediately before serving (or on stove top, if you prefer, but it's not necessary)

From start to finish, this usually takes me about 30 - 50 minutes, depending on whether I have someone help me form the balls.

Leftovers do perfectly fine in the refrigerator - covered - for at least a couple days.

Its good to have Morels

Sag paneer is a good choice. A less adventurous route is a potato leek soup with spinach mixed in.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Toots has been making this dish for decades. The original recipe came from a hospital lunch program back in Michigan in the 1950s, and she modified it substantially. The nice thing about it is that it's very adaptable, and it keeps and travels well. She's been using it for pot lucks for years ... this is my variation on it.

Vera’s Spinach-Cheese Frittata

2 1-lb pkgs frozen, chopped spinach, thawed, water pressed out, leaves separated

frozen corn to taste (10 – 12oz +/-) or, preferably, TJ's canned corn, drained (not creamed corn)

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (or similar)

4 eggs, beaten

2 heaping TBS wheat or white flour

8 - 12 oz shredded pkg cheese, or grate some yourself (Gruyere, Emmentaler, Pepper Jack)

1 or 2 4-oz cans diced green peppers (TJ’s has good ones)

1 tsp minced or pressed garlic

a little fresh ground nutmeg

S&P to taste (usually I use no salt and add about ½ - 1 tsp fresh ground black or white pepper

Put separated and well drained spinach in a very large bowl. Dump soup into another large bowl. Grind in pepper, add nutmeg, and mix. Add canned corn (Do not use creamed or cream-style corn) or frozen corn, green chile peppers, and sprinkle flour over all. Add eggs, garlic, and shredded cheese, and mix together very well. Add mixture to spinach and mix well.

Lightly butter/oil 8x8 baking dish and add the mixture Bake @ 350-deg for about 40 minutes. During the last few minutes add buttered bread crumbs as optional topping, and bake or broil until toasted.

With this dish, you really must check the time as it can vary a bit depending on the exact amount of ingredients used, moisture content, size and depth of baking dish, your preference for firmness and dryness, etc.

Try adding sliced mushrooms instead of corn or with corn. TJ’s has condensed Portobello mushroom soup. Make white sauce and add ‘shrooms or corn or? Add bacon or ham pieces?

... Shel

Since it's January, I offer an old standby that I start eating when I go "back to Weight Watchers":

spinach

chick peas

chopped tomatoes

Basically equal parts, easy if frozen or canned, heat that up and dust with parmesean.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Chicken or turkey meatballs with spinach mixed in.

This recipe for Saag Kofte doesn't use a ton of spinach, but it is delicious. I adapted if from one of my Indian cookbooks:

For Meatballs:

1 # ground chicken (originally made with lamb)

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and upper stems

1 garlic clove

1/4 inch piece of ginger

salt to taste

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp garam masala (spice mixture)

1 tsp fennel seeds

1 egg

2 slices white bread

2-3 Tbsp oil - to fry in

For Sauce:

1 pkg (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and drained

1 cup diced onions

1 cup diced bell pepper

2 cups diced canned or fresh tomatoes, drained

1 1/4 cups water

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp tumeric

1/2 tsp ground coriander seed

1/2 tsp cround cumin seeds

salt to taste

1 garlic clove, minced or grated

1/4 inch piece of ginger, minced or grated

4 Tbsp plain yogurt (not non-fat), beaten slightly

1/2 tsp garam masala

For meatballs:

1. In food processor, mince the coriander, garlic & ginger. Add the seasonings, egg and bread. Mix thouroghly, then add chicken and pulse to incorporate. Chill for 1 hour to allow mixture to firm up a bit.

2. Form mix into walnut sized meatballs. Approx 24-30. Brown in oil on allsides and set aside.

(could possibly spray lightly with oil and bake in oven) You do not need to cook the meatballs all the way through - they will finish cooking in the sauce

For Sauce:

1. Thaw the frozen spinach and wring out any excess water. Chop it finely, but not pureed. Sautee the spinach, peppers and oinions in the remaining oil from the meatballs

2. Heat the additional oil in a new skillet. Add the whole cumin seeds, and after a few seconds, the ground cumin and corainder, cayenne, turmeric and salt. Add the minced garlic and ginger and sautee briefly. Add the yogurt and stir continuously until all the moisture has evaporated and the oil appears around the edges (about 5 minutes).

3. Add the spinach, onions and peppers, and the tomatoes and 1 cup of water, then stir in the meatballs. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is reduced. Mix in the garam masala and serve over rice or pasta, or with bread.

Baked Spinach Cannelloni/Shells. Spinach, Ricotta, Parmesan. Cannelloni or other shell. Bechamel.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali