• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cumin herb

Dejah

I picked up a package of this herb while in the Chinese supermarket. It smells like cumin, but the aroma is so strong when I was cutting it up that I couldn't face using it. It kind of turned my stomach and I LOVE cumin... :sad:

Any suggestions? It doesn't match any images of the cumin plant that is grown for cumin seeds.

cuminherb874.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks, Nickrey. If I had searched more diligently, I would've seen the image for "rice paddy herb". I also saw packages at the store that were labelled "rice paddy herb" and they looked different. Maybe the others were labelled incorrectly.

I see it is used mainly in Vietnamese dishes. Think I'll pass it along to my students from Vietnam. I just can't get the initial aroma and taste past my brain this time to try and cook with it.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com