• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lochaven

Mole Making Day – 2012

As this is my first post on eG, which inspired me to tackle mole....I'd like to thank every one of you whose posts I've been reading for the past couple of months. I've viewed so many of them and on so many subjects, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the insights on cooking, dinners and lunches; and general topics.

I decided to tackle a homemade mole. I was raised on Dona Maria and it's OK...having grown up on it. I took the Fonda San Miguel recipe which is based on D. Kennedy.

There were 2 things I did change:

-- added twice as much of the mexican chocolate, and

-- added 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Even though I like my mole a little sweet, these amounts were perfect and it came out nowhere as sweet as others which was fine with me.

Here are some pics, the final dish will be prepared tomorrow and I'll post a final served dish picture at that time. Thanks again.

A working kitchen!

20120115_145012.jpg

The blended roasted spices, seeds and fried tortilla/bread.

20120115_145229.jpg

The Mole.

20120115_145359.jpg

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

Holy Mole.. I'm interested in this!! Our relatives do chicken in Mole.

Its good to have Morels

Nice! Can't wait to see the final product.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Anxious to see the final dish...but dude, I WANT your kitchen! Gorgeous!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What mole would you suggest for salmon? I think that will be our dinner plan this Friday.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

What mole would you suggest for salmon? I think that will be our dinner plan this Friday.

Blanco is perfect with salmon. Pipian is also a good choice.

Thanks for the suggestions on moles for salmon as I've never tried it.

@DnM -- let us know how it turns out.

Working on posting my final pics.

Thanks everyone. BTW -- the round kitchen works very well -- especially with 2 cooks in the household.

Finally the finished product. As these photos do not do it justice, the mole sauce and the tender chicken pieces were very good. Although, the process was long, it was most enjoyable. This is what cooking is all about. I have 2 quarts to freeze for near future use. The rice was from scratch and always love it, the beans were just beans.

Enjoy.

20120115_181855.jpg

Final Dish.

20120115_182317.jpg

Paul:

Here is the link for the recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-in-Mole-Puebla-Style-238185http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-in-Mole-Puebla-Style-238185

A couple of tips: you can use a combination of the chiles mentioned (in case you are unable to find one of the chiles); read the reviews as they are very helpful and be sure and simmer the poached chicken pieces in the finished mole for at least 20 or so minutes to really get the chicken nice and hot and time to really take the flavor of the mole.

I would also serve it with a bit of lettuce and tomato with some fresh guacamole (be sure and use a bit of finely minced garlic in your guacamole, it makes all the difference).

Good luck.

Gerry

Gorgeous. My mouth is watering.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Blanco is perfect with salmon. Pipian is also a good choice.

Oaxacan Estofado or Amarillo would also be great.

The mole looks great...but that kitchen. O, that kitchen. I could kill for that kitchen!!!!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Oh wow! Thank you! I was raised on homemade mole but no one has the recipe anymore. I have always wanted to make this but always forget about it until I have it. I just pulled this from epicurious and it is on my weekend list!

• Similar Content

• By Henga
      Hi there! I am looking for a good Mexican cookbook. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    • By newchef
      I'm trying to make a Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Enchilada recipe and I don't know if the tomatillo cream sauce will be freezer-friendly.     Basically I process the following ingredients in a food processor to make the cream sauce.  I plan on freezing the sauce in ice-cube trays for individual servings.  The sauce will then be thawed and spread on a baking dish and also used to top the enchiladas and cook in a 400 degree oven.   Thanks!   INGREDIENTS:   -26 ounces canned tomatillos, drained -1 onion -1/2 cup cilantro leaves -1/3 cup vegetable broth -1/4 cup heavy cream -1 tbsp vegetable oil -3 garlic cloves -1 tbsp lime juice -1 tsp sugar -1 tsp salt
    • By David Ross
      Ah, the avocado! For many of us, this humble little fruit inspires only one dish. Yet the avocado has a culinary history that is deeper than we may understand.

The avocado (Persea Americana) is a tree thought to have originated in South Central Mexico.  It’s a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae.  The fruit of the plant - yes, it's a fruit and not a vegetable - is also called avocado.

Avocados grow in tropical and warm climates throughout the world.  The season in California typically runs from February through September, but avocados from Mexico are now available year-round.

The avocado has a higher fat content than other fruits, and as such serves as an important staple in the diet of consumers who are seeking other sources of protein than meats and fatty foods.  Avocado oil has found a new customer base due to its flavor in dressings and sauces and the high smoke point is favorable when sautéing meat and seafood. 

In recent years, due in part to catchy television commercials and the influence of Pinterest, the avocado has seen a resurgence in popularity with home cooks and professionals.  Walk into your local casual spot and the menu will undoubtedly have some derivation of avocado toast, typically topped with bacon.  Avocados have found a rightful place back on fine dining menus, but unfortunately all too often over-worked dishes with too many ingredients and garnishes erase the pure taste and silky texture of an avocado. 

When I think of an avocado it’s the Hass variety.  However, a friend who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, can buy Choquette, Hall and Lulu avocados in the local markets.  This link provides good information about the different varieties of avocados, when they’re in season and the differences in taste and texture. https://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/10/18/know-your-avocado-varieties-and-when-theyre-in-season/

I for one must challenge myself to start eating and cooking more avocados.  I think my recipe for guacamole served with chicharrones is superb, and the cobb salad with large chunks of ripe avocado is delicious, but as a close friend recently said, “one person’s ‘not especially new’ is another’s “eureka moment.” Well said and as history tells us, we’ll find plenty of eureka moments as we discuss and share our tales and dishes of avocado during eG Cook-Off #81: The Avocado.

Fun fact: The name avocado derives from the Nahuatl word “ahuacatl,” which was also slang for “testicle.”
      See the complete eG Cook-Off Index here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/143994-egullet-recipe-cook-off-index/
    • By Darienne
      Chile Rellenos.  Every Mexican or Mexican type restaurant we've ever been in almost, I've chosen Chile Rellenos.   I keep thinking I'll pick something different...and then I don't.  I've made them.  Once.  So much trouble.  And deep fat frying.  And of course in the Far Frozen North where we live, we've been able to get Poblanos (that's it) for only about five years now.  

Imagine my delight, the appeal to my very lazy side, to discover the following recipe just a few days ago: https://www.homesicktexan.com/2018/09/chile-relleno-casserole-el-paso-style.html  .  And yesterday I made them and served them to guests with Mexican rice and black beans.  Died and gone to heaven.

OK.  Truth time.  I used Poblanos and  I did not roast them to remove the skins.  In an electric oven, it's not a nice job.  And besides the skins have never bothered me or Ed at all.  But I did roast the Poblanos in the oven.  And then I used commercial salsa because we had one we liked.  (Did I say that I can be lazy sometimes?)  And I used Pepper Jack cheese.  Jack cheese is not always available in the small Ontario city we live outside of and pepper jack is even less common.  Buy it when you see it.  I defrosted some frozen guacamole I had in the freezer.  But by heavens the casserole was delicious and now it's on our menu permanently.

So shoot me.  But I thought I'd share my joy anyway. 
    • By jackie40503
      I lived in Phoenix AZ a total of 24 years and during that time I found what the local restaurants call a Green Chili Burro. I have also lived and worked in 48 states and the only ones who have them is either in Arizona, Western New Mexico or Southern California. I am now retired in Northwest Washington State. I have searched the internet for recipes and have found that none of them taste the same. I have also written to many Mexican restaurants and either did not receive a reply or was told that they could not give out the recipe. I am now going around to blogs/forums dealing with Mexican foods hoping that someone would have the actual recipe from one of the restaurants. Its not like I am going trying to compete with them since I live along way from those areas and only wish to serve it in my own household.