• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mole Making Day – 2012

lochaven

As this is my first post on eG, which inspired me to tackle mole....I'd like to thank every one of you whose posts I've been reading for the past couple of months. I've viewed so many of them and on so many subjects, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the insights on cooking, dinners and lunches; and general topics.

I decided to tackle a homemade mole. I was raised on Dona Maria and it's OK...having grown up on it. I took the Fonda San Miguel recipe which is based on D. Kennedy.

There were 2 things I did change:

-- added twice as much of the mexican chocolate, and

-- added 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Even though I like my mole a little sweet, these amounts were perfect and it came out nowhere as sweet as others which was fine with me.

Here are some pics, the final dish will be prepared tomorrow and I'll post a final served dish picture at that time. Thanks again.

A working kitchen!

20120115_145012.jpg

The blended roasted spices, seeds and fried tortilla/bread.

20120115_145229.jpg

The Mole.

20120115_145359.jpg

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

Nice! Can't wait to see the final product.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

What mole would you suggest for salmon? I think that will be our dinner plan this Friday.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Thanks for the suggestions on moles for salmon as I've never tried it.

@DnM -- let us know how it turns out.

Working on posting my final pics.

Thanks everyone. BTW -- the round kitchen works very well -- especially with 2 cooks in the household.

Finally the finished product. As these photos do not do it justice, the mole sauce and the tender chicken pieces were very good. Although, the process was long, it was most enjoyable. This is what cooking is all about. I have 2 quarts to freeze for near future use. The rice was from scratch and always love it, the beans were just beans.

Enjoy.

20120115_181855.jpg

Final Dish.

20120115_182317.jpg

Paul:

Here is the link for the recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-in-Mole-Puebla-Style-238185http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-in-Mole-Puebla-Style-238185

A couple of tips: you can use a combination of the chiles mentioned (in case you are unable to find one of the chiles); read the reviews as they are very helpful and be sure and simmer the poached chicken pieces in the finished mole for at least 20 or so minutes to really get the chicken nice and hot and time to really take the flavor of the mole.

I would also serve it with a bit of lettuce and tomato with some fresh guacamole (be sure and use a bit of finely minced garlic in your guacamole, it makes all the difference).

Good luck.

Gerry