• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese spread from WF

highchef

The nearest WF market is a couple of hundred miles away, so I really let loose when I go through Baton Rouge..They carry KA cake flour, my organic gee...and I pick up ready to go stuff for whatever team I'm in town with, for eating back at the hotel. Last month I picked up some cheese spread, only identified as "better cheddar" spread. I don't know what's in this stuff, but it's addicting. I have a recipe for something similar that hase sharp cheddar and green onions and walnuts, bound w/mayo. the one from WF used pecans, which I prefer, and had no discernable green onion. Had no pimento, but had some amazing piquant background that was addicting. It was not pepper, and didn"t have that McIlhenny note...ie, not tabasco. After the worst week of football ever, I have been craving some feel good food.... and this came to mind. Does anyone know where the heat in this spread comes from? Much thanks if you have a guess...

My first thought is actually true hot Paprika, followed perhaps by hot mustard. Personally, I'd be tempted to try it with just a little pinch of aji powder (which is very hot but which lacks the typical "hot pepper" flavour when it's dried).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

yea google...Better Cheddar is actually the spread's God given name...or N.O. Italians. Apparently this is a spread that's sold in neighborhood markets in and around the Big Easy. I found this out at this spot.

http://raisedonaroux.com/bettercheddar/

So I tried it. it's not sweet enough, and the WF's version didn't have garlic. But the mustard was there so I thought you guys had hit on something, but it is a large component of this recipe, and the heat in the dish I'm trying to replicate is did not scream MUSTARD to me like this one does and I followed it exactly. I'll keep trying, in the meantime the web recipe is not at all bad....

After the worst week of football ever, I have been craving some feel good food.... and this came to mind.

Funny, I thought it was a pretty great week. Dungeness crab, anyone?

Me too but the cheese spread of choice where the Tide rolls is pimento cheese... :biggrin: ...so I'm not much help with figuring out the recipe he wants.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You can tell them you have allergy concerns and want to see the ingredient list. Hopefully they will comply.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

The Better Cheddar Dip that's most famous in NO (from what I've read) is made by Langenstein's. I don't know if Whole Foods sells their own version of they sell Langenstein's dip.

According to Langenstein's, the dip contains "A creamy blend of cheddar cheese,

cream cheese, garlic, nuts, herbs and spices."

Another recipe you can play around with is http://countryroadsmagazine.com/Appetizers/better-than-better-cheddar . No garlic in this one.